Views
Helpful
Replies

Use G729 between CUCM and CCME on IP WAN

nicanor00
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have cucm 8 with router 2900 voice gateway on central site and CCME on 6 remote site (let say site A,B,C,D,E,F)

I need to reduce IP phone to ip phone call bandwidth on IP WAN between some site

Now I use G711 for all call

see below what  I plan to do

- Use G729  for call between cucm IP phone and ccme ip phone site (A,B,C,D)  and between ccme site (A,B,C,D)

- Internal ip phone call on each site (central site and site A,B,C,D,E,F)  will use G711 as now

- ip phone Call going and comming from site E and F to all other site (central site and site A,B,C,D) use G711 as now

I dont know how to implement it

I am new on this type of configuration

I already installed PVDM card on voice gateway and CCME

I need transcoding only for ip phone to ip phone call on the IP wan between some site

I use ip phone : 7962, 7942, 6921, 7911

Please help

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Configure the region between the CUCM phones and the H323/SIP trunk you use to reach CME to use G729.

On CME configure G729 directly under the VoIP DPs you use to reach other CMEs/CUCM or use a voice-class codec config.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Change your dial-peer configuration pointing to site other sites that you want to use G729 to use G729 codec, you do not need any transcoders for this. Basically assume site A to site B calls as 4XXX, your dial-peer should be :

dial-peer voice 10 voip

description site B

destination-pattern 4...

session target ipv4:x.x.x.x

codec g729r8

no vad

On CUCM you will need to change the region configuration to use G729 pointing to the CME GWs.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks for your answer

I will try it

I wich case do I need transcoding ?

If I change only the codec as you suggest, conference call will still work ?

If not how can I configure it ?

Regards

Nic

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would recomend you think over and keep G.711 configured as only codec.

Let alone the bandwidth saving, that in today's networking is marginal, you will enjoy a better call quality, simplicity, and stability.