Views
Helpful
Replies

VG310 and VG320 IOS Upgrade

silvervoip
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have several VG310 and VG320 in my network and I will upgrade all of them to vg3x0-universalk9-mz.SPA.159-3.M.bin - both models use the same version.

I also noticed something. On Cisco Download Page, I select model and 2 options appear;

1-) IOS ROMMON Software

2-) IOS Software

The second option where I choose and download image - I am okay with this.

How about IOS ROMMON Software?

Would you please explain what is that? Do I need it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

if you have an active stable router, the upgrade image will be fine. Otherwise, the boot image would be used.
Also note, upgrade the Rommon first is recommended.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mike_Brezicky
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ROMmon (ROM Monitor) is the bootstrap image.  Used for initial boot, recover mode, and some other boot functions.

I would recommend if you are going through the steps to upgrade the running IOS, you should also upgrade the ROMmon IOS at the same time.

understand & thanks for the info.

How about this? I see two options;

-Digitally Signed ROMMON boot image for VG310 and VG320

-Digitally Signed Upgradeable ROMMON image for VG310 and VG320

which one I must choose? sorry to trouble. I do not see read me file attached to both files.

if you have an active stable router, the upgrade image will be fine. Otherwise, the boot image would be used.
Also note, upgrade the Rommon first is recommended.

Well...  The duplicate cut and paste answer is anything but helpful...  

So...  Is there someone who can answer the question as to what the difference is between the two different ROMMON download types?  What requires an "upgradeable" version versus the standard download?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: