Views
Helpful
Replies

VG350 Preferred Install Method

Brian Betourney
Level 1
Level 1

Folks:

Installing my first VG in a central office, not sure of the most efficient method of configuration?

Should I treat the VG350 as just another voice gateway?  Configure the VG directly (STCAPP, SSH etc)and point to the CUCM in IOS, then then configure the ports from the CUCM using MGCP (or SCCP)?    or is it "more" efficient to configure ports directly in IOS since I can batch the port configurations using SPAN?

My preferred method is using CUCM, its easier to assign DN's directly to the ports from the GUI.  If needed I can still manually configure voice ports for REN and Impedance, but prefer doing the lions share from one platform if possible. 

Just wondering what the best practice from those that have more experience (than myself) with VG350s.

Thanks in advance for any supporting replies and info.

Brian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If all devices are just phones the best option is to use SCCP where most of the configuration is done on the CUCM side. You just configure SCCP config on the GW and assign service stcapp to dial-peers, i.e.:

sccp local Fastethernet0/0
sccp ccm 10.x.x.x identifier 1 priority 1 version 7.0
sccp ccm 10.x.x.x identifier 2 priority 2 version 7.0
sccp

sccp ccm group 1
associate ccm 1 priority 1
associate ccm 2 priority 2

stcapp ccm-group 1
stcapp feature access-code
stcapp feature speed-dial
stcapp supplementary-services
stcapp

dial-peer voice 880801 pots
description Test
service stcapp
port 0/0/0

However if you have fax machines and require protocol based T.38 then SCCP will not work and you need to use SIP, H323 or MGCP where MGCP allows you to control the ports from CUCM similarly to SCCP.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brian,

Both the SCCP and MGCP integrations are possible as per your requirement. You may check the "FXS Support" and "CUCM Support"sections of the following link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/vg350/software/configuration/guide/vg350_scg/scgapp_platforms_ORIG.html#64565

Manish

Folks:

I'm not inquiring about protocol per se, I've configured dozens of voice gateways and aware of the pros/cons of each protocol. My only question is the most efficient configuration methodology, is it more efficient to configure voice ports in IOS or through the CUCM GUI ?     For discussion purposes lets say that all the end instruments are simple single line analog phone sets.

Thanks

If all devices are just phones the best option is to use SCCP where most of the configuration is done on the CUCM side. You just configure SCCP config on the GW and assign service stcapp to dial-peers, i.e.:

sccp local Fastethernet0/0
sccp ccm 10.x.x.x identifier 1 priority 1 version 7.0
sccp ccm 10.x.x.x identifier 2 priority 2 version 7.0
sccp

sccp ccm group 1
associate ccm 1 priority 1
associate ccm 2 priority 2

stcapp ccm-group 1
stcapp feature access-code
stcapp feature speed-dial
stcapp supplementary-services
stcapp

dial-peer voice 880801 pots
description Test
service stcapp
port 0/0/0

However if you have fax machines and require protocol based T.38 then SCCP will not work and you need to use SIP, H323 or MGCP where MGCP allows you to control the ports from CUCM similarly to SCCP.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is more to configuring analog GW when deciding on protocol to be used. Do you require fax support, if so what is your standard fax protocol on PSTN GWs, because if you require T.38 protocol-based then that would not work with SCCP, on the other hand if you have analog ports and require supplementary features then SCCP is the only protocol providing that. These days i normally configure analog phones as SCCP, and everything else (fax, modem, etc) with SIP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: