Views
Helpful
Replies

ViewMail 8.5.4 AdminConfig

rschraeger
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried to get the Adminconfig file

to workj when installing clients.  I can't find too much informaiton on how to configure the file correctly.  I think I have it correct but the vm server never populates when I start Outlook after installing.

COPY OF ADMINCONFIG.XML

<AdminConfig>
<Configurations>
<!--

This section has a single <Configuration> element for each possible configuration.
At this time, only one <Configuration> element is supported.

The general format of the <Configuration> element is as follows:
<Configuration server="{name of server}" type="{type of server}"/>

{name of server} (required) is the DNS name or IP address of the voice server
that should be used.

{type of server} (required) is one of the following values:
Connection7: For Unity Connection 7.x or 8.0.x servers. This value
expects an IMAP account.
Connection8.5 SIB: For Unity Connection 8.5 servers. This value
expects an Exchange account.
Connection8.5 IMAP: For Unity Connection 8.5 servers. This value
expects an IMP account.

Example:
<Configuration server="voicemail.cisco.com" type="Connection8.5 SIB"/>
This would expect that a voice mail server called "voicemail.cisco.com" exist
and that an Exchange account exist in the users profile.
-->
<Configuration server="vm.kv.com" type="Connection8.5 SIB"/> 
</Configurations>
<Users>
<!--
This section is used to prepopulate user settings on a per-user basis.

Each <User> element has the following general format.
<User id="{userid}" username="{username}" phone="{phone number}" password="{password}"/>

{userid} (required) is either the full logon name of the user in DOMAIN\USERNAME format,
or just the USERNAME.

{username} (optional} is the voice mail user name.

{phone number} (optional) is the phone number to call when recording or playing messages
via the telephone.

{password} (optional) is the password of the user in clear text.
NOTE: This is a potential security risk; use only if you understand the security
implications.

Examples:
<User id="THISDOMAIN\Administrator" username="admin" phone="1234" password="password"/>
<User id="Administrator" username="admin" phone="789"/>

The id attribute is used to link the logged in user to a particular entry.
First each <User> element is searched for one whose id attribute matches
the logged in users domain and name, using the DOMAIN\USERNAME format.
If no such element is found, then a second search is made for a <User>
element whose is attribute matches just the user's name.  If no such
element is found, the user is required to enter all user information.
-->

</Users>
</AdminConfig>

Can anyone point me to my problem or do a document that showes how to configure this file?

15 Replies 15

rschraeger
Level 1
Level 1

anyone?

Same problem here everything looks correct but nothing autopopulates for the server.

mclean.danny
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same issue.  If I put in Connection8.5 SIB it will fill in the server name but we don't have an 8.5 server.  I have tried all combinations of the "connection" but nothing that works for our 7.1 server.  There is no help on the Cisco site for this.  Please help us out Cisco.

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you tried with at least one user element defined? So you have a connection and a user.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

toma1269
Level 1
Level 1

There seems to be zero information on how to customize this. I did figure out if you run from a command line "setup /ConfigFile AdminConfig.xml", it then does seem to read that file, but I've unable to get the syntax of the file correct. The text in the file does not seem to be correct, according to the error messages you get when you run the command line. For one, the file has the section , but I rec'd an error saying it was expecting (lower case c), so I changed it. Got past that error, but I can't get the value for type=....it doesn't like anything I put in there, including the examples in the file. In the registry on a system that has the plugin installed and configured, I found a key Type=Unity8 under HKCU\Software\Cisco Systems\ViewMail for Outlook\Profiles\Outlook\Servers, but it doesn't like those values either.

It would be nice if Cisco would actually provide info on how to use this. We are considering the use of the plugin, but need a way to install and configure without having to do it indivudually for every user.

Running Unity 7.0.2 partnered with Microsoft Exchange here.  I've been working with TAC on this and they're somewhat stumped.  I did just determine though that the registry provides some answers for our setup.  Specifically here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cisco Systems\ViewMail for Outlook\Profiles\Outlook\Servers\Microsoft Exchange.

I saw Unity7 as the value for Type, so I entered that in the AdminConfig.xml file.  Here is the end result:

However, the user part of the config is not entered automatically.  Still trying to figure that out with TAC.

I've tried Unity7 and Unity8 for the type and it doesn't like either one. Are you getting past that point? Are you launching from a command line using "setup /ConfigFile AdminConfig.xml" or doing something different? I get a pop-up saying 'Invalid configuration type 'Unity7'. I hit ok and it ends right there.

I haven't been doing it using the command line.  I just tried from the command line and got the same result as you.

I have the AdminConfig.xml directory in the file that I'm installing ViewMail 8.5.7 from.  The installer automatically copies the XML file to the installation location.  Alternatively, you can copy it there yourself.

I do agree that there is little to no documentation about how to set this up,

But I did happen to come across a video tutorial on the ciscounitytools website

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Training/Connection/CUC8_5.html

see ‘Enterprise deployment with Admin Config’

it does give a deeper explanation of how the file operates, but still does not elaborate on the various 'server type' options.

I do not know why they only include ‘Unity Connection’ in the XML help comments. I wish that they would also include examples for ‘regular’ Unity as well, since i'm not sure what syntax to use either.

I will be rolling out the new version of Viewmail, and i suspect i may run into this same problem, as I am running regular Unity 7.0(2) with exchange. 

let me know if anyone comes up with any good answers about this, and I will let you know if i find out anything too.

Was there a resolution to this?

I am running into the same problem.

No resolution on my end.  The issue has remained in subsequent versions of ViewMail 8.6.x.

For what it's worth, version 9.0(1) that was just released still has the same problem.  Disappointing

Hi Fred,

You may have already tried these two things a million times and if you have forgive me.  Your AdminConfig.xml looks like this based on your earlier post:

1st thing to change is the leading "u" in the   In my case it had to be capitalized, which is kind of silly, but it was definitely case sensitive.

So instead of this:

<user id="domain\user"/>

you have

<User id="domain\user"/>

2nd thing to change is actually using the full "domain\user" within that node.  I had to remove the domain\ to make mine work. 

So in the end it looks like this:

I know it sounds crazy, but I just tried it myself in our environment which is Unity 8.5 SIB connected to Exchange and it wouldn't work unless both of those things were set in exactly that manner.  My final working AdminConfig.xml basically looks like this:

Hope maybe this works for you too.

Thanks for the info.  The user ID was properly populated when I followed the guidelines that you outlined. 

Better documentation from Cisco would certainly help alleviate these struggles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: