cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ViewMail for Outlook 8.6(4) Released With New Features

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey everyone!  Just wanted to give all of you a heads up that the latest ViewMail for Outlook has been released and is available for download on Cisco.com.  Please read the Release Notes, especially about the two new (very anticipated by many of you) features now available. (Reply with text only and also TRaP playback from within a shared Exchange mailbox)

Release Notes for Cisco ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook Release 8.6(4)

http://tools.cisco.com/squish/92B2b

New and Changed Functionality—Release 8.6(4)

http://tools.cisco.com/squish/bA182

Support For Reply With Text Only Using ViewMail for Outlook(VMO)

In Cisco ViewMail for Outlook 8.5(7) and earlier releases, the reply  with text only for voice messages was not supported. With Cisco ViewMail  for Outlook 8.6(4) release onwards, the reply with text only for the  voice messages is supported. VMO considers the reply with text only as a  normal email and sends it to the respective recipient.

Note Reply with text only using VMO does not work with secure messages.  

To enable text-only reply for VMO, you need to do the following tasks:

Configure the System Registry value of type DWORD as:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cisco Systems\ViewMail for Outlook\ VoiceMailReplywithText]

"VoiceMailReplywithText" = "1"

Configure  Exchange environment routing rules such that all mails sent to the  Connection SMTP domain are routed to the proper Connection server.

Configure  Connection to relay emails to the user's corporate email within  Exchange. For more information, see the "Message Actions in Cisco Unity  Connection 8.x" section in the "Setting Up Features and Functionality  That Are Controlled by User Account Settings in Cisco Unity Connection  8.x" chapter of the User Moves, Adds, and Changes Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 8.x, at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/user_mac/guide/8xcucmacx.html

Configure  the SMTP proxy address for non-SIB user. For more information, see the  "SMTP Proxy Addresses in Cisco Unity Connection 8.x" section in the  "Setting Up Features and Functionality That Are Controlled by User  Account Settings in Cisco Unity Connection 8.x" chapter of the User Moves, Adds, and Changes Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 8.x, at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/user_mac/guide/8xcucmacx.html

Support For Group Exchange Mailbox Access Play Messages

In Cisco ViewMail for Outlook 8.5(7) and earlier releases, an user  having delegate rights to access another user's mailbox cannot play the  voice message of that user. With ViewMail for Outlook 8.6(4) release,  and Cisco Unity Connection with Engineering Special 49 onwards, an user  having delegate rights to access another user's mailbox can play the  voice message of that user from his inbox.

Note Group Exchange Mailbox Access Play Messages does not work with secure messages.   

To enable the Group Exchange Mailbox Access Play Messages functionality, do the following tasks:

Configure the System Registry value of type DWORD as:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cisco Systems\ViewMail for Outlook\ VoiceMailTUI

"VoiceMailTUI" = "1"

Configure user in Exchange to delegate mail access to another user.

As always, if you're unable to find any resolution on the support community for any issues you encounter, please open a TAC case.

Regards,

Brad

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Brad,

Thanks for this excellent update!

Cheers!

Rob

Josh Edwards
Level 4
Level 4

Hey Brad - I've updated Unity Connection 8.5(1) with ES 49 and VMO to 8.6.4... added the VoiceMailTUI registry change...

I am now able to successfully play Unity Connection Voicemail messages in shared outlook inboxes - this is great.

I was under the impression that this fix would also allow us to play old Unity voicemail messages that are in Outlook via TRaP connection to the phone through Unity Connection - however, VMO still does not recognize that it can play the Unity message...

have you heard anything about this?

Josh

Hey Josh,

No, I've never seen anyone attempt to do that before but it doesn't mean it hasn't happened   Out of curiosity, what led you to believe that this functionality was available in this new version?

So if I understand correctly, there are existing Unity voicemails in your inbox from the previous Unity deployment, but since having moved to UC you're unable to play those messages?

What is the symptom when playing them?  Any errors? 

Brad

Yeah... We've recently migrated a client from Unity 5.? to Unity Connection 8.5(1)... we moved subscribers over with COBRAS but did not include voce messages as they would remain in the outlook inbox...

When a user opens an 'old' Unity voicemail message they do not see the VMO control bar... the can only open the wav file and play via windows media player (or whatever their default media player is)... no errors... just no ability to play via VMO.

I had heard second or third hand from someone else in our company that this fix would also help out in this situation...  We did the ES and VMO update to fix the shared inbox problem... this was just going to be a bonus if it worked out...

This behavior is expected.  When you install VMO, you tell it which type of voicemail server (Unity or UC) you're configuring the client to point to.  Unity and UC each have their own message class, so when you're configured for UC it's going to ignore the Unity messages and not present you with the media master bar.  With TRaP, the voicemail server you're pointed to is what places the outbound call.  In the situation where customers decomission an old Unity server, TRaP wouldn't work.  I'm sure there are other reasons code-wise that it was decided to be done this way, but if you're really interested in getting that added, I would recommend contacting your account team so they can put a business case behind the request.

Hope that helps,

Brad

In regards to playing Unity messages that have not been migrated to Connection - we are updating VMO so it will have the ability to detect and playback attached WAV files in messages. 

For TRaP playback, VMO will do this by submiting the WAV file to the Connection server via the CUTI API.  As VMO is simply playing or submiting the raw WAV file in the message it will not be able to playback Unity Secure messages as the actual WAV file is encrypted.  This will work for non-secure Unity messages as well as forwarded emails which have a WAV file.

This additional funtionality will be released most likely sometime around the first of the year.

Thanks,

Ryan

Josh, I found a registery key that will let you play those old Unity messages.  I found it will looking for somethign else but it works for me.  Went from Unity 8.x to UC 9.x. 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cisco Systems\ViewMail for Outlook\VoiceMailUpload_Play]

"VoiceMailUpload_Play"=dword:00000001