Views
Helpful
Replies

VMO 4.0(4) Installation Error

tracey.marshall
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I am trying to install vmo 4.0(4) onto a new laptop with Windows XP sp 2 and Outlook 2003 sp 1. I have removed the anti-virus software, have no firewall or vpn software and have no previous version of vmo. I am running the installation wizard from outlook client's profile, which has full admin rights. The wizard complains that I have the wrong version of Outlook or no Outlook installed. Does anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong?

Many thanks in advance,

Tracey

10 Replies 10

vharsha
Level 3
Level 3

Could you post the exact text of the error message?

path
Level 1
Level 1

VMO read the file version of the outlook .exe.

How ever, the way we find where the .exe is might be at issue here. Lets have a look at the registry.

1- In the registry (regedit) go to the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\Outlook.Application\\CLSID" folder.

2- get the value {xxxxx-xxxxx-...}

3- go to the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\CLSID\\{xxxxx-xxxxx-...}\\LocalServer32" folder.

4- Look at the (default) value. That's supposed to be the path to the Oulook .exe file.

4.a It should include the Full path to the .exe

4.b It should end with the .exe filename.

4.c It should be less than 255 characters in length.

Now test number 2

1- Find the outlook .exe file at the previously found location (in the registry) with a file browser.

2- Right-click on the file and select properties.

3- Go to the version tab it should show a file version and a product version

You can also log the installation details to a file so we can capture what goes wrong better.

from the command prompt:

msiexec /I ViewMail.msi /Lpview vmoInstLog.txt

Should do the trick

In that log file (vmoInstLog.txt) look for the value of the OutlookVersion property.

We expect it to be > 8500 to allow install.

PatH

Hi PatH,

Thanks so much for the detailed information. I will give this a try and let you know.

Tracey

Is there a resolution to this problem? We're running into the same thing here, except that we're running VMO 4.0.4 with Outlook 2003 on a Windows 2000 workstation. According to the support matrix, this version of VMO should be compatable.

Hi,

The laptop which we are trying to install VMO into has been out of the office for the last week. I should have an answer in the next couple of days. Will keep you posted!

Tracey

Hi,

The laptop which we are trying to install VMO into has been out of the office for the last week. I should have an answer in the next couple of days. Will keep you posted!

Tracey

Hi,

The laptop which we are trying to install VMO onto has been out of the office for the last week. I should have an answer in the next couple of days. Will keep you posted!

Tracey

Yep, we're working the issue as well. I'll let you know what we find out as well.

Problem fixed on our end. Technician ran "Repair" from Office 2003 CD on Outlook only and it's working. Not sure if "Repair" from the Outlook 2003 CD where it was originally installed from would have worked or not. Technician was working on a hunch that the Outlook 2003 installation CD was somehow flaky. If it happens again, we'll try it the other way. Hope this fixes you, too.

Thanks for info. I will let you know how we get on.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: