cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMWare tools install for MeetingPlace 8.0.1 App Server

AFNIC-ANGI
Level 1
Level 1

So, this may seem like a non-trivial task. Install VMWare tools in a Virtual environment? Couldn't be easier, unfortunately I have run into issues with installing VMWare tools in the MeetingPlace Application Server. This server runs RHEL 4 but when installed it is setup under Windows Server 2003. So, once powered on the server runs RHEL 4 but VM sees it as a Windows 2003 server and does not contain that tar.gz file in the VMWare Tools install folder.

This is starting to give me a headache as it should be a simple task but I cannot figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Running vCenter 4.1.

Cisco Unified MeetingPlace 8.0.1 Application Server.

-Runs with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.

-Virtual Client setup as Windows Server 2003, the only way that the OS would install.

- When VMWare Tools datastore is mounted the only files available are for Windows, not Linux.

Any ideas?

Nick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is setting the VM to 'Windows' then installing linux normal for this product?

Instead of selecting 'install vmware tools' from the menu, you can just mount an ISO from the datastore... click the 'up a folder' button until you see a 'vmimages' folder, then browse into tools-isoimages and pick the linux one.

Alternately shut down the VM, set the 'Guest OS' in the VM settings to RHEL4 and boot it up again... maybe just mounting the other ISO would be lower impact.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is setting the VM to 'Windows' then installing linux normal for this product?

Instead of selecting 'install vmware tools' from the menu, you can just mount an ISO from the datastore... click the 'up a folder' button until you see a 'vmimages' folder, then browse into tools-isoimages and pick the linux one.

Alternately shut down the VM, set the 'Guest OS' in the VM settings to RHEL4 and boot it up again... maybe just mounting the other ISO would be lower impact.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron,

The install guide that I followed on the Cisco Support page (here) instructed me to do it that way, also that is the only way that I could get the OS to mount in the VM. As for the normal way of doing things, I am unsure, I've only been working with MeetingPlace for about a week and have installed it twice now with this being the only method that worked for me.

I tried navigating through the datastore but couldn't ever find the vmimages folder, may not have gone high enough. I then tried changing the Guest OS and was able to get it back up and running. Once it was running you were spot on, there it is.

Thank you for the help,

Nick