Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vNic to VMXNET3, a simpler way??

So we all know we need to convert, when upgrading or migrating to 10.x or 11.x the existing vNic to VMXNET3 type for performance purposes and to be supported by TAC. Now the methods provided are intended to keep the existing MAC address of the vNIC, so if you have it in Dynamic, a VM shutdown and VXM file change or PowerCLI is needed. Based on th eamount of VMs this can be a lenghtly process and can cause additional outage or planning.

I cannot see why we need to keep the previous MAC address, UCM/CUC uses PLM for licensing so the vNIC MAC is irrelevant. For CCX the license mac is not built based on the actual vNIC MAC address, so the licensing for CCX will not change either.

Based on the above, I can just remove the existing vNIC and add a new one of VXMNET3 type with a different MAC. I have done this in the lab and works like a charm, this will save lots of hours if Cisco supports it or document it at least.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

cheers

Isidro

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Currently, the only supported way, is to follow the set of instructions from the OVA README, meaning either use PowerCLI, or manually change the .vmx, remove from inventory, and re-add to inventory.

I suggest you bring this concern to your AM so they can provide this feedback to the BU.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for getting back Jaime. AM way of reaching BU is long and not worth in most cases. I was hoping some TAC or BU monitoring the forum could give some light on why the simplest way is not supported....any issues found?

cheers

Isidro

In some communities there might be some BU folks, but that's the exception to the rule, and the BU is the only one that can give a final ruling on that. Even If I, or a TAC engineer tries that, and it seems to work, unless the BU officially tests that, and says it will be supported, we cannot tell you to do that.

Also, in public forums like this, there are many restrictions on what information can be posted, I highly doubt they would give you a full technical explanation of why it's not supported, in CSC.

You'd have much better chances of getting the kind of reply, and info, you want, in the partner communities, or via your SE/AM.

HTH

java

Understood. Will try other channels and post back if any confirmation.

cheers

Isidro

OK, make sure that if you do get any information on this, you make sure that's not subject to NDA, if it is, you cannot post it here. No NDA material should be posted at CSC, by anyone.

HTH

java

mikeleebrla
Level 1
Level 1

I would just like to point out that the license MAC in CUCM and the MAC address in VMWare are two separate things.  Run "show status" from the CLI in CUCM to view the license MAC, then go into VMWare and look at the MAC there, as you will see, they are different. So there is no need to worry about 'breaking' licensing if you change the NIC/MAC in VMWare.    

Regardless, as Jaime pointed out, the only supported method is to follow the instructions provided by Cisco (remove from inventory method).