cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

voice class server-group using DNS name

Bill
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to use the voice class server-group command in a CUBE config, and looks like we can only use ipv4 or ipv6 as an address type.

Any way I might be able use a DNS name instead?

Doesn't look like it.

I suppose I could translate it to IP, but if the carrier changes their IP address, it will break.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Hi,

As Roger said, it isn't supported currently.

But why don't you use the standard dial-peer command "session target ..." for routing? (e.g. session target dns:sipserver.example.com).

The CUBE tries to resolve this FQDN on its own then.

Maybe an interesting/helpful info about this command:

If you have the command "session target dns:sipserver.example.com", the cube treats the dns-name as a domain and does a SRV lookup first (e.g. SRV _sip._tcp.sipserver.example.com --> A Record/Port ?)

If he doesn't get any answers, only then he treats the dns-name as a normal FQDN and tries to resolve the A Record to an IP address

(A Record sipserver.example.com --> IP ?).

SRV lookup should be avoided, if the sip-provider doesn't publish any SRV records.

To avoid the SRV lookup, the command can be configured with a port "session target dns:sipserver.example.com:5060".

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

AFAIK there is no way to use DNS names in server groups.

Response Signature

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Hi,

As Roger said, it isn't supported currently.

But why don't you use the standard dial-peer command "session target ..." for routing? (e.g. session target dns:sipserver.example.com).

The CUBE tries to resolve this FQDN on its own then.

Maybe an interesting/helpful info about this command:

If you have the command "session target dns:sipserver.example.com", the cube treats the dns-name as a domain and does a SRV lookup first (e.g. SRV _sip._tcp.sipserver.example.com --> A Record/Port ?)

If he doesn't get any answers, only then he treats the dns-name as a normal FQDN and tries to resolve the A Record to an IP address

(A Record sipserver.example.com --> IP ?).

SRV lookup should be avoided, if the sip-provider doesn't publish any SRV records.

To avoid the SRV lookup, the command can be configured with a port "session target dns:sipserver.example.com:5060".

you could also define SRV records on the CUBE itself. it really depends on what problem you are trying to solve.

In the original post, i think just using session target DNS would accomplish what the OP is trying to do.

Bill
Level 1
Level 1

I did use 'session target' and it works. I was just wondering if there was another way using server groups.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: