cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

voice lamp and envelope icon issue

arsparks
Level 1
Level 1

We're running CUCM 6.1.4.  The phone in question is a Cisco 7975, though the symptoms apply to all the phones involved.

We're running Cisco Unity 5.0.  I have a user with a departmental voice mail box associated with one Directory Number (DN).  That DN is on more than one phone device.

Here's the problem.  When an unread voice mail arrives on this line, the light does not come on, nor does the icon next to the number turn into an envelope.

The voice mails are also sent to an exchange account, and the emails that contain the voice mails remain "unread" until they are actually read.

I've been fooling around with the Device settings field, "Visual Message Waiting Indicator Policy", for that DN and phone device and none of the settings affect the behavior.

The voice mail DN is referenced by a pilot number, which is used to reach a hunt list.  If the hunt list membership are all unavailable, the caller is supposed to go to voice mail.

As stated before, this behavior affects all phones that have this DN.

7 Replies 7

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

This sounds like a CSS issue.

Take a look at the partition the problem DN is in, and see if it is present in the call search space that you have set up on the MWI's.  If it isn't, it isn't

going to work.

Cliff

I have DN's on the same partition and CSS where this works.

Ok.  Looking back over this thread, I think we (at least I) need to clarify something.

You have a hunt pilot.  I don't know the number, so we'll just call it 1000.

1000 rings a group of phones.  They are all members of the line group that the hunt list points to.  If none of them answer the phone, the call goes to voicemail for DN 1000.  Am I correct so far?

So when the voicemail box for DN 1000 takes the message, you want it to light up the voicemail lights of all the phones that are part of the hunt list/line group for DN 1000.  Is this correct?

The phones that are part of the hunt list/line group....do they have a separate button that is part of the line group, or is it button 1?

My thinking here is that you actually have multiple DN's that are part of this line group, though they may be masked so that they all appear as 1000 because the button label has been set to "1000".  Assuming the buttons are really DN 1001, 1002, 1003, etc., they are not going to light up with MWI for the hunt pilot unless you have them set as alternate MWI's (these have been supported since Unity 3.0).  Of course you could bring a third button into the mix put some number on it and make it the MWI extension and also declare it as an alternate.  But you cannot push MWI to the hunt pilot to light the MWI's of the member phones.

Is that what you're attempting?    

The hunt pilot itself (which is not a DN) does not have a voice mail directly associated with it.

Under the "Hunt Pilot Configuration" screen which is reached from "Call Routing -> Route/Hunt -> Hunt Pilot" there are two fields called "Forward Hunt No Answer" and "Forward Hunt Busy" which have that DN entered.  That DN, we can call it "4519", has the VoiceMail Box associated with it.

That's where I'm having the trouble.

Normally in that particular box, I personally set the number of the VM Pilot, and then when it lands in the VM system, it hits a VM box with the same number as the hunt pilot.  But that's just the way I do it.

Ok.  So 4159 is forward on NA/Busy destination.

Where is DN 4159 assigned?  Is it on a CTI RP?  Is it the button on all the phones?

And can you confirm what the VM Box # is?  Is it 4159?

The problem is somewhere in the setup, but I still don't have a complete picture of what you have set up.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Al,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Cliff (+5 Cliff)

It sounds like the "shared" number on these phones may be set up as an Alternate

Extension in Unity under the Hunt Pilot DN. If so you may be missing the Alternate MWI

Check out Step #5 from this doc ( Under MWI Extensions) this will allow you to add the MWI for the specified Alternate Extension.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_configuration_example09186a008015ceec.shtml#steps

Cheers!

Rob

The document you provided provides screen shots that don't match what my Alternate Extensions shows on my Unity Server interface.  That being said, I don't have any alternate extensions configured going by what is on my screen.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: