Replies

Voice mail for one user with two extensions

Andy Emerine
Level 1
Level 1

Environment:

Cisco Unified CM Administration System version: 7.1.3.30000-1

Cisco Unity Connection Administration Version 7.1.3.10000-68

We have a user this year that will be wearing two hats and will have offices in two different locations. I have both extensions as a line on each phone. Now I just need to point both extensions to the same voicemail box or give the user two mail boxes. It seems that CM Administration only supports one voicemail box per user. I think it would be easier for the user to only have to check one mail box by having both extensions point to the same VM. How can I accomplish this?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Andy,

Let's say the user has numbers 7005 & 8450 but we want only one mailbox

@ 7005. There are a couple of ways to do this.

In CUCM go to> Feature> Voicemail> Voicemail Profile and  create a new Profile called XXXX (whatever name you want) with a  Description called "XXXX username Mailbox" the Voice Mail Box Mask will be 7005> Save

Then  via CUCM go to the Users Phones> under Directory Number Config for 8450> Voicemail Profile and change to XXXX (created previously in  above steps)>Update>Reset

Now when a call routes via forward to Unity Connection it will reach the Mailbox @ 7005.

Or in Unity Connection set up Alternate Extension so that 8450 is an Alternate Extension for 7005 etc.

Cheers!

Rob

"I don't know how, I don't know when
But you and I will meet again " 

- Tom Petty

View solution in original post

If you use the Alternate Extension method, you can add a Message Waiting Indicator for the shared extension under User Basics-> Message Waiting Indicators.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Andy,

Let's say the user has numbers 7005 & 8450 but we want only one mailbox

@ 7005. There are a couple of ways to do this.

In CUCM go to> Feature> Voicemail> Voicemail Profile and  create a new Profile called XXXX (whatever name you want) with a  Description called "XXXX username Mailbox" the Voice Mail Box Mask will be 7005> Save

Then  via CUCM go to the Users Phones> under Directory Number Config for 8450> Voicemail Profile and change to XXXX (created previously in  above steps)>Update>Reset

Now when a call routes via forward to Unity Connection it will reach the Mailbox @ 7005.

Or in Unity Connection set up Alternate Extension so that 8450 is an Alternate Extension for 7005 etc.

Cheers!

Rob

"I don't know how, I don't know when
But you and I will meet again " 

- Tom Petty

Thank you so much!!!

If you use the Alternate Extension method, you can add a Message Waiting Indicator for the shared extension under User Basics-> Message Waiting Indicators.

I couldn't figure out the Alternate Extension method. I went with the first method. Could you explain in more detail how to do this? Thanks

After you create an Alternate Extension, you add a MWI for that extension (don't check Inherit User's Extension box). After that, both phones MWI will light up when a message is left no matter which extension they called. Messages can be retrieved from either phone and will update both MWI.

Awesome! Thank you so much. It's working well.

By doing your 1 option, I am getting issue.  I can read voicemail for ext 7005 and ext 8450 from using EXT 7005 But I cannot read voicemail for ext 7005 and ext 8450 using ext 8450.

rverdi001
Level 1
Level 1

OK, So I have a new twist on this issue. I have set up alternate extension for a user. The issue I have is one extension (primary extension) is on our UK Unity connection server, Alternate extension is on our US Unity connection server. Both partitions exist on both Unity servers. I should be able to select the US partition from the drop down menu, but it is not letting me, the only option is the UK partition. Both Unity servers are registered to the same Call Manager (located in US), UK office is using SRST. Any idea how to make the US partition available in the alternate extension - > partition list on the UK Unity server?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: