Views
Helpful
Replies

voice mail from PSTN

jack samuel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have unity connection 8.6 .2 and our corporate users need to access their voice mail when they are not in the office (from PSTN) so how i can achieve that.

I know only 2 steps please correct me if the below 2 steps are wrong and complete the rest of the steps

1. I will create a hunt pilot DN (DID) with unity connection answering ports.
  2. call will reach to unity connection by direct routing rule configured for dialed in number (DID )
  3. ???
  4. ???

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I believe you already have a system in place for internal voicemail. And you need to have end users accessing the voicemail from outside.

1) If your existing Voicemail Pilot is a DID number (it doesnt appears to be the case from your extension), provide the DID number to your users. They can dial into it, enter UserID/Pwd to access the mailbox.

2) If its a non routable extension, you can have a spare DID number, either create a Translation Pattern and in the called party transformation mask put your voicemail pilot DID (to translate this DID to voicemail pilot) OR create a CTI RP with cfwd all to your voicemail pilot. When users call the DID number, the calls will be fwded to Unity Connection, enter *, it will ask for username/pwd.

-Terry

Please rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I believe you already have a system in place for internal voicemail. And you need to have end users accessing the voicemail from outside.

1) If your existing Voicemail Pilot is a DID number (it doesnt appears to be the case from your extension), provide the DID number to your users. They can dial into it, enter UserID/Pwd to access the mailbox.

2) If its a non routable extension, you can have a spare DID number, either create a Translation Pattern and in the called party transformation mask put your voicemail pilot DID (to translate this DID to voicemail pilot) OR create a CTI RP with cfwd all to your voicemail pilot. When users call the DID number, the calls will be fwded to Unity Connection, enter *, it will ask for username/pwd.

-Terry

Please rate helpful posts

Dear Terry,

Please find the attached screenshot configured for PSTN voice mail access, as my licenses are expired no ports are been answered on unity connection, and cannot test the connection, please confirm the configuration by the screen shot.

Please confirm

Thanks

Your configuration will not work. You used a Direct Routing rule. This needs to be a forward routing rule.

In the condition, you've use the IN Operator. IN Operator is used to give a range of DNs. You need to use the EQUAL Operator.

And, as Terry mentioned, you need to add appropriate translations to convert your DID to the Hunt Pilot number.

Dear's

you"ll are experts i may not understanding what actually you'll are trying to explain.Please bare with me to get success.

I will write in bullets my understanding please correct and also

1. when a pstn user dial a number 23232980
  2. VG (MGCP) receives the calls and the call is send to CUCM to DN 980
  3. In my case 980 is Hunt pilot the call will hit to Unity connection
  4. By creating forwarding rule " sends call to"  conversation sign in  with equal operator & dialled in 980 routing rule conditions.
  5. user will be prompted for the username and password.

Please write in Bullets for the below comment.

And, as Terry mentioned, you need to add appropriate translations to convert your DID to the Hunt Pilot number.

I didn't understood below paragraph.

An alternate option is to add 'Alternate extensions' for the user. In this case, apart from adding the alternate extensions, you do not have to do any other changes on Unity Connection. Callers can still dial the existing hunt pilot to reach unity connection. no need to create a new hunt pilot. just ensure you have appropriate translation patterns to convert your DID to the existing hunt pilot number.

Thanks

Did you get this working?

MGCP gateway cannot do any translation. So when the PSTN user dials 23232980, MGCP gateway will relay the complete number (23232980) to CUCM. So you need a translation pattern that will convert 23232980 to 980.

The steps you have mentioned will work fine (after adding the translation pattern as mentioned above).

You can ignore my other comment - the alternate option one. This is not a viable solution as you will have to configure alternate extensions for all users. The steps you have summarized is the easiest way to do it.

Hello...

I realize this thread has been dormant for a while but I really wanted to express this statement regarding the way how a lot of professionals and contributors assist people who come here with issues; we can do better.

There are "too many times" I've watched some people "talk about a solution" to people who are "looking for a solution" but instead are given "verbal discussion about the solution" as opposed to someone "posting a config of the solution" to allow learners and all to get a better understanding.

That being said, with "all new posts" that come in asking for help from here on out, could anyone offering to assist "PLEASE PROVIDE A VISUAL DOCUMENT OF SOME SORT" (i.e. Notepad, Visio, Powerpoint) illustrating the solution you're helping with so as to help the poster to "visualize" what the answer is?  I've found it is "much easier" to provide the solution a poster is looking for in the form of a "config" they can copy and paste, watch the solution work, and then "work backwards" to see how the "fix" is properly implemented.

Let's take the "mentoring" game to the next level, peops...

Jay

Certified: CCNA (R/S, Security, Voice), CCDA, CCNP (R/S)

An alternate option is to add 'Alternate extensions' for the user. In this case, apart from adding the alternate extensions, you do not have to do any other changes on Unity Connection. Callers can still dial the existing hunt pilot to reach unity connection. no need to create a new hunt pilot. just ensure you have appropriate translation patterns to convert your DID to the existing hunt pilot number.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: