cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voicemail access for local user

chris.kosel
Level 1
Level 1

Our organization uses an LDAP directory (AD) for CUCM/Unity management. We do however have a single user who is set up locally on both CUCM and Unity. This user normally uses EM (they're not assigned a permanent phone), and is able to retrieve VM messages through their phone, but can't retrieve VM messages if they're not logged into EM (Message states PIN code is invalid). Any ideas as to why this would occur? Thanks in advance. (Unity is version 11.5.1)  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just to be clear in case of any possible communication error, if the extension programmed on the mailbox is the entire DID then just sharing the same four numbers would not allow him access. Unity expects the digits to be entered to match exactly what is programmed in the extension field of the mailbox unless you programmed an alternate extension to match different input i.e the four digit extension. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How does he access his mailbox when not logged into EM?  He needs to either call his number or when reaching another greeting press * and then follow directions to login to his mailbox.  If he is just pressing messages button on someone else's DN then he is attempting to login as that user.

He dials 9999 and then his extension number followed by the PIN number. We in IT changed his PIN in Unity and tried it from our phones, and it's definitely his mailbox.  

I am assuming 9999 is your unity extension. If this is true what is the assigned mailbox extension vs the extension numbers he is dialing? If they are different (ie mailbox is 10000001234 and dialing ext. Is 1234) chances are the "Alternate Extension" option in the mailbox was overlooked. In this case you will need to assign an alternate extension that matches the expected number he is dialing.

His four digit extension and his DID share the same four numbers, so I don't think this would be an issue. 

Just to be clear in case of any possible communication error, if the extension programmed on the mailbox is the entire DID then just sharing the same four numbers would not allow him access. Unity expects the digits to be entered to match exactly what is programmed in the extension field of the mailbox unless you programmed an alternate extension to match different input i.e the four digit extension. 

Scott, all our users use a 4-digit extension which is a subset of the DID. My apologies if I'm not providing the needed clarity. The only problem, is that his PIN doesn't work when he's not logged in to EM. I opened a Cisco TAC case on this, and the engineer went through the config, so I'm confident he's set properly. No resolution yet tho, cause I'm waiting for him (a part time user) to return my call.  

Turns out you were right my friend. A little digging reveled the fact that this was indeed not accounted for. Thanks for your input, and you have been "credited" accordingly. I will now go eat my humble pie. 

His four digit extension and his DID share the same four numbers, so I don't think this would be an issue. 

What is 9999 defined as in Unity? What does he hear when he dials it?

It is the global extension for accessing VM, both internally and externally: When dialed it says: "Enter your ID, followed by pound" It works for all other users. Externally users dial (XXX) XXX-9999.