cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voicemail for Legacy Phones/User on CUE

b.gamble
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to create voice mailboxes for users on a TDM system that links to CME/CUE via a T1?

I'd like the user, who has no user account on CME, to be able to dial into their voice mailbox on CUE, enter their PIN and access their voicemail.

I imagine they'd simply dial the CUE/VM pilot and get prompted for a PIN, but if they aren't coming from a recognized/registered extension they would first get prompted to enter their ID, corect? The signaling between CME and the legacy TDM won't pass caller-ID info (as I'm told by the legacy TDM support staff).

The legacy system is NEC.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The issue here is that CUE won't necessarily understand what you are asking it to do.

When someone dials an extn on the old TDM/PBX and it gets call forwarded to CUE, CUE needs to be passed the extension number that was originally dialled *in the correct format* so that it can match the correct mailbox up and play the right greeting.

Each PBX does this in an different, and often proprietory, way. It's this what Paolo (Paolo, please correct me if I'm wrong) is saying you need to understand.

I think it's unlikley that CUE would natively be able to do this (although I may be proved wrong).

You might want however to take a look at the Cisco PIMG (aka Dialogic) gateways. They are designed for exactly this kind of thing. I recently managed to get working a very old Index PBX (It's older than me) to use Unity voicemail by using a PIMG in the middle. Basically the PIMG connects to the PBX, and then routes into the voicemail system over IP performing the necessary translations - i.e. looking at what the PBX is trying to do / signalling, and then translating it into something that Unity understood. There was a *lot* of work that went on understanding how the PBX was signalling and then writing rules so that Unity was passed the correct information. This was Unity Voicemail, not CUE, so I'm not 100% certain that you could use PIMG for this, although PIMG does support SIP, so you may be in luck.

The tracing on the PIMG is pretty good, so you can see what DTMF digits are being presented by the PBX, and then write your own rules to route the call into the voicemail system in the correct way. There's a few examples available on CCO as well. TAC are also pretty good at supporting it - I had a hugely helpful TAC engineer help me configure it.

HTH. Barry

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can create the mailbpoxes and access them and send messages from one to another, but how the legacy system would pass target mailbox VM in first place? You have to ask them which mechanism they support.

I was hoping that could all be done through DTMF tones.

Legacy user dials 8000.

VM port picks up, CUE says "Enter user ID followed by #"

User enters "6666#"

CUE says "Enter your PIN, followed by #"

User enters "1234#"

Is that in the realm of possibility?

Maybe I was vague. I don't want any communication between the legacy voicemail server and the new one. CUE will replace the legacy server. There will still be legacy phones, though, registered to the TDM/PBX, that will need to access voice mailboxes on CUE.

Maybe you do not understand my post above, try reading it again ?

I've reread it several times and maybe I don't understand.

"...but how the legacy system would pass target mailbox VM in first place? You have to ask them which mechanism they support."

Can you clarify what you mean there?

The issue here is that CUE won't necessarily understand what you are asking it to do.

When someone dials an extn on the old TDM/PBX and it gets call forwarded to CUE, CUE needs to be passed the extension number that was originally dialled *in the correct format* so that it can match the correct mailbox up and play the right greeting.

Each PBX does this in an different, and often proprietory, way. It's this what Paolo (Paolo, please correct me if I'm wrong) is saying you need to understand.

I think it's unlikley that CUE would natively be able to do this (although I may be proved wrong).

You might want however to take a look at the Cisco PIMG (aka Dialogic) gateways. They are designed for exactly this kind of thing. I recently managed to get working a very old Index PBX (It's older than me) to use Unity voicemail by using a PIMG in the middle. Basically the PIMG connects to the PBX, and then routes into the voicemail system over IP performing the necessary translations - i.e. looking at what the PBX is trying to do / signalling, and then translating it into something that Unity understood. There was a *lot* of work that went on understanding how the PBX was signalling and then writing rules so that Unity was passed the correct information. This was Unity Voicemail, not CUE, so I'm not 100% certain that you could use PIMG for this, although PIMG does support SIP, so you may be in luck.

The tracing on the PIMG is pretty good, so you can see what DTMF digits are being presented by the PBX, and then write your own rules to route the call into the voicemail system in the correct way. There's a few examples available on CCO as well. TAC are also pretty good at supporting it - I had a hugely helpful TAC engineer help me configure it.

HTH. Barry

Older than you!!!

I whish I could use that line myself!!!

Rated !!!

Barry. I getcha. That makes sense. Thanks.

I wanted to add something.

I believe that with TCL/IVR I can have a cisco router or CME to can do anything a Dialogic does, and some more.

Anyone that needs that can contact me at the address present in my profile

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: