cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voicemail handled by multiple users

nicholasacook
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to setup a new voicemail box for my IT Service Desk.  Each technician has his/her own voicemail box tied to his/her extension.  I am trying to figure the best way to setup a shared voicemail box that they can access and also alert them that there is a new voicemail in the SD mailbox.  

My thought was just setup a dummy extension and add this as a 2nd line for each technician and then have that dummy extension be setup as an alternate extension to the SD mailbox, or us a separate voicemail profile to access it from the dummy extension.    

Scenario

Tech 1 = extension 1234

SD mailbox = extension 5555

dummy extension = 8888

On tech 1 phone, have two lines configured. 

1st line = 1234

2nd line = 8888 (but routes to 5555 voicemail and has active MWI)

Currently, there is a Call Handler setup with a distribution list associated with this Call Handler.  So the voicemails are forwarded to the Tech's own voicemail, but I want to change this as if Tech 1 reviews the voicemail, Tech 2 still has that voicemail in their voice mailbox and doesn't know that it has been reviewed already by Tech 1.  

CUCM Version 10.5.2

Unity Version 10.5.1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You might want to check out the "dispatch messaging" option for call handlers - you set the target of the message to be a distribution list of your techs and the message type to dispatch and everyone gets a copy of the message in their own inbox - their own notification devices work as normal - the first user to "accept" the message then removes it from everyone's mailbox - basically the first person to respond to the message then owns it.

It's designed for scenarios like this and is far more expandable than having a single shared box with a pile of different notification targets in it - you can only go so far with that.

Users can pass on a dispatch message (i.e. not decide to own it) and there are reports showing who passed and who accepted a message.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jason-mcgee
Level 3
Level 3

There are several ways to do this, including the way you describe, but I have found using the notification device to be the easiest. You can have the voicemail call all of the users of the mailbox or use other methods of notifications if configured or all of them. Our help desk technicians have found it to be very helpful in this way and when the message is cleared the calls stop.

Edit User Basics >>> Select Edit >>> Notification Devices (about 2/3rds of the way down)

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You might want to check out the "dispatch messaging" option for call handlers - you set the target of the message to be a distribution list of your techs and the message type to dispatch and everyone gets a copy of the message in their own inbox - their own notification devices work as normal - the first user to "accept" the message then removes it from everyone's mailbox - basically the first person to respond to the message then owns it.

It's designed for scenarios like this and is far more expandable than having a single shared box with a pile of different notification targets in it - you can only go so far with that.

Users can pass on a dispatch message (i.e. not decide to own it) and there are reports showing who passed and who accepted a message.

Thank you.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I have tested it and it works great on my physical phones, but something I did notice is that if I have a voicemail that is new and is still pending acceptance from dispatch and I am in Jabber, I am able to listen to it, but it doesn't seem like I can take ownership of the voicemail.  Is there a setting that needs to be set to allow me the ability to accept the voicemail through Jabber (version 12.1).  Also, I am even unable to make the voicemail as "read" or delete it and would need to go to my physical phone to be able to accept and then delete the message.

Concerning the report, which report would allow me to see who accepted the message and who passed on the message?  

Thank you again for your help on this topic.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: