cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP PBX with Cisco Unified Communications

Ravs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys. Humbly requesting for your advice on this please. We have an old legacy TDM PBX on its way out. We want to implement VoIP with Unified Communications. Is it possible we can put the VOIP on example Asterisk ( All the Phones will be on Asterisk) and run the Cisco Unified Communications as well. Thus it would mean that all the Desk Phones would be for example Grandstream and Smart Clients such as the Cisco Jabber - IMP, Mobility - Single Number Reach will be run off the Cisco Unified Communications Platform. We want to achieve the following with Cisco Call Unified Communications.

1. Instant Messaging and Presence using the Jabber.

2. Ring All - When someone dials extension 1111, the Deskphone, Cisco Jabber will ring together. If the call is answered on one, the other phone stops ringing.

3. Audio, Video and Web Conferencing will be run off the Cisco Unified Communications platform. This is similar to Webex where the invites will be send over the emails etc.

4. Voicemail and Voicemail to Email will be off the Asterisk.

5. The Jabber Clients should be able to call any extension on the Asterisk and vice versa

6. We have a remote site connected over satellite link. The bandwidth is very less and we want to offer only 1 Users - Manager the Cisco Jabber there as well. The Asterisk will run the dial tone there as well and only the Cisco Jabber will connect to the Main Site.

Please if you can advice if this kind of a scenario is possible and also any problems that we can encounter or for that matter any advice something better. Please if you can also tell me what will be the different components we will require for this please.

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To some extend yes, you could achieve concurrent ringing with single number reach configuration and SIP integration between Cisco CUCM and Asterisk. Basically calls would need to arrive to CUCM first where it would ring the Jabber device extension, and you would have remote destination profile setup with concurrent routing to external destination which would be extension of Asterisk phone that is sent to Asterisk over the SIP trunk. Keep in mind that Cisco licensing is user licensing and not device licensing, so you would still need to purchase licenses for CUCM, for that reason I would strongly consider using phones on CUCM as well then as you will gain much more from the solution.  For example if phones on Asterisk you would not be able to see phone state on Jabber client when someone uses their phone.  You would also need to maintain 2 separate systems, every user would have extension on Cisco and Asterisk, etc.  As to voicemail I've migrated couple customers away from Asterisk VM as they only had trouble, but I am Cisco guy so I am biased here (full disclosure).

Thanks a lot Chris

Thus it would mean that we will need to assign for example 1XXX to the Asterisk and 2XXX to the CUCM. Thus if some one calls Extension 2000 on CUCM, CUCM will connect to another extension example 1000 on the Asterisk. Thus for a User with Jabber, the number published will be 2000 and CUCM will connect automatically to 1000 - Desk Phone.

Please if you can also help me understand the difference between User Licencing and Device Licensing. I noticed the same on the BE6K as well. Data sheets state that the BE6K can support over 1000 Users and about 2500 Devices. I am finding it difficult to understand the difference. Also if a scenario where we need 100 Staff with their Names assigned to the Phones- To have Desk Phone on BE6K, another 100 Staff with their names assigned with Desk Phone + Jabber(IM, Presence, Single Number Reach on Asterisk Desk phone), would it the same licences.

Thanks a lot for your assistance.

For first question, if you want to keep it clean then yes, I would do something like that. You could make the extension the same on both sides with appropriate use of calling search spaces and partitions, but it would get confusing.

Current versions of CUCM use only user licenses, the numbers you are referring to are for purpose of sizing the system.  Refer to this document that goes over details of user licensing as different user license entities you to different features, and number of devices a user can have:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/10_0_1/ccmfeat/CUCM_BK_F3AC1C0F_00_cucm-features-services-guide-100/CUCM_BK_F3AC1C0F_00_cucm-features-services-guide-100_chapter_0100101.pdf

For you scenario for the users needing only 1 device (Jabber) you can purchase Enhanced licenses, for users needing Jabber + desk phone you could get Enhanced Plus.  If you also need voicemail for each of these, then you may want to consider CUWL standard which supports up to 10 devices per user and includes voicemail, or buy voicemail licensees seperetely. 

Please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: