cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What new applications would you like to see for Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series?

kimcneil
Level 4
Level 4

Applications which take advantage of the Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series such as Visual Voicemail, Click-to-Call, Voice and Text-based Paging, Time-clock, On-demand Call Recording and Speech Recognition can help you meet your business objectives by enhancing your user's productivity, reducing your general business and IT administration costs and promote higher customer satisfaction levels. Cisco, in partnership with third-party developer partners, supports a wide array of these applications for the Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series today.

Are you taking advantage of running applications on Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series today and if so, which applications are you using? In turn, are there applications that you would like to see Cisco or our third-party developer partners explore bringing-to-market that you believe are not available today? What would these applications be and how would they benefit your particular business?

Comments welcomed.

Regards,

Kirk McNeill

Cisco Systems

11 Replies 11

Kevinriches
Level 1
Level 1

Kirk,

Are you aware of the advantages SpinVox could bring in this area? Most of the issues being raised - voice to text, notes, etc will all be features of the integrated service.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your post and suggestion regarding SpinVox!

I am familiar with applications such as voice to text paging, text and voice notes on the IP endpoints. In fact, Cisco has developer partners including Singlewire, IPcelerate and Cistera Networks that support these types of applications, as part of their integrated suites, on the Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series today.

Regards,

Kirk McNeill

Unified Communications Solutions Marketing

Cisco Systems

reillyjj
Level 4
Level 4

Kirk,

I would like to see a simple zone paging application, like you have on Unified Communications Manager Express, built-in on the regular Unified Communications Manager. I believe this is pretty standard on PBX's. We are migrating from an NEC environment where we have it available. I would hope that I don't have to add a 3rd party solution for this.

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. For the NEC solution you are migrating from, can you share what solution you were using and how many phones did the paging application support sending a concurrent page to? In addition, were these strictly audio pages or did the NEC solution also support text paging to the IP Phone as well?

To answer you, paging applications for Cisco Unified Communications Manager are available today through either the Cisco Unified Applications Environment (CUAE) or are part of a suite of applications sold and supported by Cisco Techology Developer Partners. Radianta comes to mind for the former. Singlewire (formerly Berbee), IPcelerate and Cistera Networks are three of the latter that deliver such an application that come to mind.

You can find information about CUAE here:

http://www.cisco.com/web/developer/cuae/content/applications.html

links to Cisco third party developer sites (note: you will be redirected off the Cisco.com website by clicking on any of the links below):

www.singlewire.com

www.ipcelerate.com

http://web.cistera.com/c2/index.jsp

Look forward to your additional comments.

Regards,

Kirk McNeill

Collaboration Solutions Marketing

Cisco Systems

Kirk,

On our current NEC solution the paging is just a built in feature. We do not use any 3rd party application. You simply put phones in a "paging zone" and then assign a function to it. So, a user just presses a key sequence like *36 to do a Sacramento zone page, then speaks. Whatever they say is broadcast through the speaker of all of the phones in that zone. I believe, though I have not used it, that Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express has a very similar capability built in.

Our largest site has about 70 phones in the "all page" zone. It does not have any additional functionality like text to speech paging or scheduled paging. It is pretty simple, but we use it extensively. We put a dummy phone, with external speakers connected to it, to access open areas that do not have many phones, like our warehouses.

We are a relatively small company, with about 150 phones, spread across about 8 locations all together. We started with CUCME about 3 years ago as we opened new branches. We have since replaced a couple of our NEC PBX in existing branches, also with CUCME systems. We are not getting ready to install a CUCM-BE in our Sacramento Headquarters where we have the 70 phones I mentioned earlier. I got a price quote from InformaCast, where a 250 phone license was $9000 plus hardware to run it on. That's more than we paid for the CUCM-BE. I think that for the SMB market where a CUCME is too small, but the CUCM-BE is great, the cost of this functionality is disproportionate with the cost of the system. I also think that the simple functionality that the NEC has is common in the PBX world, and is used extensively.

In my case, I am sure that I will have to delay implementing the CUCM-BE until I find a solution.

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for the additional feedback and detail regarding your situation and the desire for paging to be included with the Business Edition offer. I will take that back to the business unit along with your comments for their review.

What I have seen of the third party solutions for paging, they are typically bundled into suites - so you get access to other applications within a given release (as one example, picture ID is part of one developer partner's suite, which includes paging). You could investigate Radianta and IPcelerate as two other Cisco Developer Partners to see if either has a more economical offering to your liking than Informacast for your needs. In turn, if a colleague has a suggestion that might assist you, I will ask that they join in on the conversation to provide you with other alternatives.

Regards,

Kirk McNeill

Cisco Systems

Kirk,

Thanks for the opportunity to give my input. I will take a look at the other offerings you suggested.

Cheers

Hello,

Most welcome and please continue to offer us feedback on your findings as you explore these other solutions and let us know if any meet your needs.

By the way, the comparative detail you provided and context of your situation was quite helpful. I've passed along your concerns regarding integration of paging natively into the Business Edition solution to colleagues on the team for their subsequent evaluation.

Regards,

Kirk McNeill

Cisco Systems

jzimet
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

i would like to see applications using our EnergyWise network Service and reporting Money, Energy and CO2 Savings .... rgds Josip Zimet

Josip,

Thank you for the suggested enhancement. Just to let you know that I passed along your idea to our IP Endpoint Product Management team for their future consideration.

Thanks very much!

Kirk McNeill

Cisco Systems

Jeffrey Ness
Level 1
Level 1

A native Cisco supported speed dials application would be nice to avoid having to write my own to allow users to change their own speed dials from the phone itself without having to mess around with usernames & password for the Personal Directory or using the CCMUser website.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: