cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What will be impact of the system?

karthickks0814
Level 1
Level 1

what it would take to change our system setup and Jabber to utilize FQDN instead of IP addresses. This is required to validate certificates fully in our environment. 

And also we need to know what will be the impact over the system while changing IP to FQDN?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
7 Replies 7

Even if the change from IPs to FQDN might sound like a big thing my experience with this is that’s it’s not such a big deal. As long as the phones has a DNS server and it would usually be served this already by DHCP, then it’s rather transparent. The phones will pickup a new configuration file, with the FQDNs for the CM nodes in the CMG, next time it’s reset. It’s not much more to it.

The UC systems would likely all already be setup for DNS, if so this is pretty much a none impact change. If not it would be required to complete this first and that usually has a small impact, if I remember correct it would either require a restart of the nodes in the cluster or just restart the network interface, it was a while ago since I last did this so its not 100% fresh. 

Response Signature

I agree with Roger, as long as DNS client is already configured on your CUCMs (most of the time it is) and ALL of your phones get DNS from DHCP, this is a trivial change. There is no need to do anything with certs as those are always issued to FQDN, and since you are not re-hosting/re-Iping nothing would change.

Hi 

Thanks for your valuable points. I have a couple of questions. Please help me with this

1. Will there be an outage required in a system for this change?
2. We have CA issued certificates currently on all of the Tomcat and XMPP services. Will these be impacted or have to be reimported?
3. Is there anything special needed for the Jabber config to reflect the FQDN?

Hi  Roger Kallberg.

Thanks for your valuable points. I have a couple of questions. Please help me with this

2. We have CA issued certificates currently on all of the Tomcat and xmpp services. Will these be impacted or have to be reported?
3. Is there anything special needed for the Jabber config to reflect the fqdn?

@karthickks0814 wrote:

Hi  Roger Kallberg.

2. We have CA issued certificates currently on all of the Tomcat and xmpp services. Will these be impacted or have to be reported?
3. Is there anything special needed for the Jabber config to reflect the fqdn?

A1: There shouldn't be a real outage required. You would be doing a restart of your phones, but that pretty much it.

A2: No you should not need to touch these.

A3: It depends on what you have in your configuration file, but in general no. You'd have to get your xml file and look at it to know for sure.

Response Signature

karthickks0814
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guru's 
Thank you all for your answers.
 I followed these documents and have successfully changed the system IP to FQDN.
Also, we need to consider couple of things as a pre-check before changing IP to FQDN.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/116232-technote-sbd-00.html

and 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/10_0_1/ipchange/CUCM_BK_C3782AAB_00_change-ipaddress-hostname-100/CUCM_BK_C3782AAB_00_change-ipaddress-hostname-100_chapter_011.html

Thank you!!!

Glad to hear that you did succeed with this. Both of the two documents you link to would have impact on if you actually would change the IP or host name of your servers. That’s not really what you asked about as changing the server configuration objects in CUCM admin UI is a completely different thing. That’s what you would need to do to get rid off the prompt for certificates in Jabber.

Not sure it was intended, but you marked the forum post as answered by your own post and didn’t give any credits to either my or @Chris Deren for trying to help you out. All on this community does this on their own time and appreciate if they get credited for their effort to help.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: