cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where to configure Unified Communication

wfqk
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, Where to configure Unified Communication? Does it have a special GUI interface to configure UC? or we can configure it at CUCM? Any one can give some suggestion? Thank you!

11 Replies 11

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

My understanding of term Unified Communication is that when we say Unified Communication, we cover instant messaging with jabber, voicemail and call control which covers applications like CUCM, Unity Connection and I/M Presence. These three applications can be configured individually or we can have use Cisco Prime Collaboration Provisioning to simplify the provisioning of users for above 3 applications using one interface.

For Video conferencing/collaboration we have different applications like meeting server, TMS webex hybrid nodes for integration with webex cloud. Expressways for b2b/mra requires separate configuration. 

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

CUCM is the Cisco Unified Communications Manager - so the answer to your question could be in the title of the product.

But, I guess, it will all depend on what you are trying to actually achieve rather than asking about "UC" as a broad term.  Are you able to provide a better description of what you want?

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

wfqk
Level 5
Level 5

Thank you two for answering my question. So CU should be general term including several applications.  I know and can configure CUCM, which is also main component of CU, but I notice I have never seen its interface. That is why i brought this question. 

Unified Communications is an umbrella term for multiple applications and is not specific to Cisco.  There are numerous other vendors that provide UC services via their products.  In the Cisco world, UC covers products such as CUCM, CUC, CER, Expressway, Jabber, Webex, etc.  If you have configured CUCM before then you have seen the interface, be it GUI (CM Administration) or CLI.

Please rate helpful posts by clicking the thumbs up!

I configured CUCM before, but I have never noticed UC before and CUCM's  relation with UC. so each of application, such as CUCM, CUC or Webex etc might have a interface with UC? If so, can you suggest where to configure UM in CUCM or how to link CUCM to UM? Thank you

First, you need to change your mindset.  UC is not a product, service, feature or application.  It is merely an umbrella term to group everything together.  There is no "interface".  CUCM has an interface that allows you to access and configure CUCM.  CUC has an interface (CLI or GUI) that allows you to configure CUC.  With that being said, can you please explain what you are referring to as "UM"?

"Unified communications (UC) is a business and marketing concept describing the integration of enterprise communication services such as instant messaging (chat), presence information, voice (including IP telephony), mobility features (including extension mobility and single number reach), audio, web & video conferencing, fixed-mobile convergence (FMC), desktop sharing, data sharing (including web connected electronic interactive whiteboards), call control and speech recognition with non-real-time communication services such as unified messaging (integrated voicemail, e-mail, SMS and fax). UC is not necessarily a single product, but a set of products that provides a consistent unified user interface and user experience across multiple devices and media types."   it is from Wikipedia

I'm not sure at this point what your question is or what you are trying to get answered.  Hopefully somebody else is able to assist you.

Yes, that is correct, UC is a concept, not a product, so there is no way for us to tell you where to configure it as we don't know what product you are trying to use or what you are trying to achieve.

Perhaps if you let us know the business requirement for what you are trying to do, then we will be able to assist you with what product(s) or configuration option(s) you may need to look at.

Try not to use "UC" in your answer, tell us in as simple terms as possible what you are trying to do.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I am having issues downloading a cucm os image file to vmware vsphere datastore. It is about 7GB file and the downloading fails half way through. Any idea?

@AliChowdhury58487 

Please do not ask out of OP topic question in someone else post. Better to create your own.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: