cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

B230-M1 and ESXi5.1 certification

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The combination B230-M1,ESXi5.1,UCSM 2.1.2a is not certified.

The combination B230-M1,ESXi5.1,UCSM 2.0.5 is.

Q. can I run Infrastructure at 2.1.2a, and the B230-M1 blade with a HF of 2.0.5, and the remaining M3 blades with HF 2.1.2a ?

5 Replies 5

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Wdey,

Accoridng to the release notes this is supported, you will need to make sure that all of the components in the blade(s) are upgrade to the same version( see note below from the release notes)

Release Notes for Cisco UCS Software, Release 2.1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/UCS_28313.html

"

Updating Cisco UCS Versions

Starting with Software Release 2.1, the Cisco UCS Manager A bundle software (UCS Manager, NX-OS, IOM Firmware) can be mixed with previous release's B or C bundles on the servers (host FW, BIOS, CIMC, adapter FW and Drivers). A given server must be running the entire B-bundle, so mixing the 2.0(3a)B BIOS with the 2.0(4b)B CIMC is not supported. "

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I know of course this document, however

>>>Starting with Software Release 2.1, the Cisco UCS Manager A bundle software (UCS Manager, NX-OS, IOM Firmware) can >>>be mixed with previous release's B or C bundles on the servers (host FW, BIOS, CIMC, adapter FW and Drivers).

I would like to know, what  previous release's B or C bundles, means.

I belive this is what you are looking forhttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/firmware-mgmt/gui/2.1/b_GUI_Firmware_Management_21_chapter_01.html#concept_9F7E716C0D934BBD8CE5B035444F39C4

Cross-Version Firmware Support

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/firmware-mgmt/gui/2.1/b_GUI_Firmware_Management_21_chapter_01.html#concept_9F7E716C0D934BBD8CE5B035444F39C4

Cross-Version Firmware Support

Cisco UCS supports cross-version firmware support in the following way:

• Infrastructure firmware must be at the current release.
  • Server firmware can be at one release prior to the infrastructure firmware.

For example, if you upgrade the infrastructure firmware to Cisco UCS, Release 2.1, you can have firmware on some or all of the servers in a Cisco UCS domain can remain at the most recent version of Cisco UCS, Release 2.0(4).Important:

If you implement cross-version firmware, you must ensure that the configurations for the Cisco UCS domain are supported by the firmware version on the server endpoints. For example, the minimum power budget for the   servers must be no lower than the minimum supported in Cisco UCS, Release 2.0(4). The lower budget supported in Cisco UCS, Release 2.1 is not supported for servers that are running Cisco UCS, Release 2.0(4) firmware.

Cisco UCS Releases Supported for Cross-Version Firmware

The following table lists the Cisco UCS releases that are supported for cross-version firmware. All patches for the maintenance release listed are supported.

Infrastructure FirmwareCross-Version Server Firmware

Cisco UCS, Release 2.1(1)

Cisco UCS, Release 2.0(4)

Thanks Manuel, I was aware of this. However, the document is not up to date.

Q: can this table be extended in the sense that

Infrastructure Firmware :                2.1.2a

Cross-Version Server Firmware: 2.0.5

I did some more research but apparently the 2.0(4) is the only release that is supported by the cross-version server firmware.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card