Views
Helpful
Replies

Behavior of UCSM vNIC/vHBA placement policy

tprayaga
Level 4
Level 4

hi,

Can anyone please explain me the behavior of UCSM vNIC/vHBA placement policy, and its three options assigned-only, Exclude-Dynamic and Exclude-Unassigned. I have gone through the documentation, but I am not very clear yet.

May be an explaining with an example will help.

Sample scenario.

Full blade having Palo on left side, and Menlo Emulex on right side, with 8 VNICs (4 dynamic, and 4 manual), with each of the three options.

thanks

Tejo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Tejo, there are two reasons that you would want to use a placement policy.

1. Full width blades with 2 mezzanine cards - When you have 2 mezzanine cards a placement policy      allows you to specify which mezzanine card to assign a vNIC/vHBA to. By      doing this you can better load balance the network and storage traffic. In      a placement policy the 2 mezzanine cards are identified as vCon1 and      vCon2.
  2. Dynamic vNIC Connection Policy – When you have a Dynamic vNIC Connection Policy as      part of a Service Profile you want to have a placement policy so that the      dynamic vNICs are created below the standard vNIC/vHBAs in the PCI order.      Dynamic vNIC connection policies are used in the configuration of VN-Link      in hardware. This type of policy requires the Palo mezzanine card though.

Other than those two reasons I don't know when you would use a placement policy unless you just wanted to make sure the OS sees the vNICs/vHBAs on specific PCI slots.

The exclude-dynamic comes into play with the Dyamic vNIC Connection Policies I mentioned in option 2 above. Exclude-unassigned would be where you have some that you want to assign (vNICs) but you don not care about where the vHBAs get assigned.

I personally have only had the need to use them in the 2 scenarios above.

With your specific scenario you would use the placement policy to assign some vNICs/vHBAs to the Emulex card (2 max for vNIC and vHBAs) and some to the Palo (dynamic vNIC connection policy or more than 2 vNICs. Or you might want all of your vHBAs to use the Emulex and all of your vNICs to use the Palo.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Tejo, there are two reasons that you would want to use a placement policy.

1. Full width blades with 2 mezzanine cards - When you have 2 mezzanine cards a placement policy      allows you to specify which mezzanine card to assign a vNIC/vHBA to. By      doing this you can better load balance the network and storage traffic. In      a placement policy the 2 mezzanine cards are identified as vCon1 and      vCon2.
  2. Dynamic vNIC Connection Policy – When you have a Dynamic vNIC Connection Policy as      part of a Service Profile you want to have a placement policy so that the      dynamic vNICs are created below the standard vNIC/vHBAs in the PCI order.      Dynamic vNIC connection policies are used in the configuration of VN-Link      in hardware. This type of policy requires the Palo mezzanine card though.

Other than those two reasons I don't know when you would use a placement policy unless you just wanted to make sure the OS sees the vNICs/vHBAs on specific PCI slots.

The exclude-dynamic comes into play with the Dyamic vNIC Connection Policies I mentioned in option 2 above. Exclude-unassigned would be where you have some that you want to assign (vNICs) but you don not care about where the vHBAs get assigned.

I personally have only had the need to use them in the 2 scenarios above.

With your specific scenario you would use the placement policy to assign some vNICs/vHBAs to the Emulex card (2 max for vNIC and vHBAs) and some to the Palo (dynamic vNIC connection policy or more than 2 vNICs. Or you might want all of your vHBAs to use the Emulex and all of your vNICs to use the Palo.

Thank you very much Jeremy for your detailed response. It makes a lot more sense now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card