cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can B200 M2 and M3's work together?

cweatherford
Level 1
Level 1

I have a chasis running VMware ESXi on 4 B200M2 blades and we are looking to add a B200M3 blade. Will I have any issues moving guests between the M2 and M3 blades?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are no issues running ANY mix of blades in the same chassis - M1, M2 or M3's.  As for ESX compatability you'll have to likely use Enhanced VMotion (EVC) if moving between blades with different generation processors.   This is the case for any hypervisor hosts and not specific to Cisco.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are no issues running ANY mix of blades in the same chassis - M1, M2 or M3's.  As for ESX compatability you'll have to likely use Enhanced VMotion (EVC) if moving between blades with different generation processors.   This is the case for any hypervisor hosts and not specific to Cisco.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Robert!

NP.  Just see my update to the post above regarding EVC.  Again, no problems, but you may need to enable EVC.

Robert

I am having an issue with creating EVC, we have 3 b200 m2 and 1 b200 m3 and non of the options is compatible with all 4 blades.  We have another cluster that only that only has M2's and Westmere validates.  Another with only M3's and Sandy Bridge works.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe

You would normally enable EVC to check the minimum features possible so newer CPUs do not represent a problem for your cluster.

One thing that happened to me personally is that I did not enable EVC when I created the cluster, later on, when I tried to enable it, vMotion still did not work, so I had to delete the cluster, re-create it and enable EVC since the beginning, after that I had no more troubles.

HTH,

-Kenny

The odd part is I can't even create the EVC, for some reason Vcenter doesn't see any compatible options.  Has anyone noticed this issue?

Thanks,

Joe

Ok, so vCenter does not let you create your cluster with EVC enabled?

What vCenter license do you have?

-Kenny

I was able to resolve the issue.

I powered down the vm that appeared to be causing the issue (ACS 5.X vm) moved it another host while powered off.  I was then able to create the EVC using Westmere.  Powered the VM back on and it is able to Vmotion from M2 to M3 and back without issue.

Thanks for the advise/assist.

Joe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: