cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CIMC Will NOT Set Power Policy (C-Series 210 m2)

kphillips
Level 1
Level 1

Question: I am unable to set power policy through web GUI and CLI on a C-series 210 m2.

Description: An engineer who uses this machine for testing utilized the power-on with 1 sec delay for ~400 shutdown-power-on cycles, I assume that the CIMC is not designed for this purpose and so many cycles could have been detrimental to the health of the module. The engineer contacted me to say the web interface would not allow him to set power policy through the GUI, when acessing the power policy tab the following error was produced: "ERROR: Operation Failed". I then attempted to set the policy through the CLI with the follow commands:

ucs-c210-m2 /chassis *# set policy power-on

ucs-c210-m2 /chassis *# set

cli          delay        delay-value  description  locator-led  policy      

ucs-c210-m2 /chassis *# set

cli          delay        delay-value  description  locator-led  policy      

ucs-c210-m2 /chassis *# set delay-value 1

ucs-c210-m2 /chassis *# commit

Internal error happened, "set" operation failed

Error: Operation failed

ucs-c210-m2 /chassis *# show configuration pending

Modify  /chassis 

policy  power-on 

delay-value  1

This worries me. So I checked the logs.

SEL:

Time                Severity      Description                             

------------------- ------------- ----------------------------------------

[System Boot]       Informational "LED_DIMM_STATUS: Platform sensor, OFF event was asserted"

[System Boot]       Critical      "PSU_REDUNDANCY: PS Redundancy sensor, Redundancy Lost was asserted"

[System Boot]       Normal        "PSU1 PSU1_STATUS: Power Supply sensor for PSU1, Presence detected was asserted"

[System Boot]       Informational "LED_FPID: Platform sensor, BLUE was asserted"

[System Boot]       Informational "LED_FPID: Platform sensor, OFF event was asserted"

[System Boot]       Critical      "FRU_RAM SEL_FULLNESS: System Event sensor for FRU_RAM, failure event, Upper Critical going high was asserted"

[System Boot]       Normal        "MAIN_POWER: Presence sensor, Device Removed / Device Absent was asserted"

[System Boot]       Informational "LED_CPU_STATUS: Platform sensor, AMBER was asserted"

[System Boot]       Informational "LED_CPU_STATUS: Platform sensor, OFF event was asserted"

[System Boot]       Informational "LED_PSU_STATUS: Platform sensor, AMBER was asserted"

[System Boot]       Informational "LED_PSU_STATUS: Platform sensor, OFF event wa

s asserted"

[System Boot]       Normal        "FRU_RAM POWER_ON_FAIL: Platform sensor for FRU_RAM, Predictive Failure deasserted was asserted"

[System Boot]       Informational "LED_HLTH_STATUS: Platform sensor, GREEN was asserted"

[System Boot]       Informational "LED_HLTH_STATUS: Platform sensor, ON event was asserted"

[System Boot]       Normal        "BIOS_POST_CMPLT: Presence sensor, Device Inserted / Device Present was asserted"

2012-01-30 20:42:38 Normal        "MAIN_POWER: Presence sensor, Device Removed / Device Absent was asserted"

2012-01-30 20:38:58 Normal        "BIOS_POST_CMPLT: Presence sensor, Device Inserted / Device Present was asserted"

2012-01-30 20:38:58 Normal        "System Software event: System Event sensor, OEM System Boot Event was asserted"

2012-01-30 20:37:52 Informational "LED_HLTH_STATUS: Platform sensor, ON event was asserted"

2012-01-30 20:37:52 Normal        "System Software event: System Event sensor, Timestamp Clock Synch (second of pair) was asserted"

[System Boot]       Normal        "System Software event: System Event sensor, Timestamp Clock Synch (first of pair) was asserted"

[System Boot]       Normal        "CATERR_N: Processor sensor, Predictive Failure deasserted was asserted"

CIMC

screenshot1.png

N.B. The issue first started sometime this weekend (1/30-1/31).

I was thinking that burning the CIMC firmware onto the module could solve the issue, but given I have little experience with Cisco equipment I figured it would be a good idea to ask first. Any thoughts?

4 Replies 4

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Kevin,

I was able to apply the configuration in my lab server ( C210 M1 ) running CIMC version 1.4(2) version.

ucs-c210-m1 /chassis # show detail

Chassis:

Power: off

Product Name: UCS C210 M1

PID : R210-2121605

Locator LED: off

Description:

Power Restore Policy: power-on

Power Delay Type: fixed

Power Delay Value(sec): 1

Then I revered the change via GUI and was able to successfully re-apply the same configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/cli/config/guide/1.4.1/Cisco_UCS_C-Series_CLI_Configuration_Guide_141_chapter3.html#task_7CD57F360073470DB06952F8525E828E

Can you please share the output of the show detail after scoping into chassis ?

Padma

Here is the results of scope chassis -> show details

ucs-c210-m2 /chassis # show detail

Chassis:

Power:

Serial Number: ***************

Product Name: UCS C210 M2

PID : R210-2121605W

UUID: *************************

Locator LED: off

Description:

Power Restore Policy:

Power Delay Type:

Power Delay Value(sec):

Keep in mind this after ~400 power cycles in a weekend.

Kevin,

I would suggest you to open a TAC Service Request to further investigate this issue.

Also, please try to apply the configuration again and collect the CIMC show tech log bundle and upload it to the SR.

Collecting CIMC show tech log bundle

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/ts/guide/TS_90ContactSupport.html#wp1085343

Padma

Hi Kevin did you find a resolultion to this, we are seeing the same error on our c210m2 running 1.4.2.  We had the server freeze up and had to powercycle it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: