cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS connection to CX4-120

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

We are starting our UCS deployment on the SAN. We have a CX4-120 that is going to be used. This san will only be used for the UCS environment. We also have a pair of MDS 9216i switches that can be used but they only will do 2 Gb/s FC. The CX4-120 has 2 4 Gb/s connections per storage processor. From what I can tell we have a few options:

• •1. Connect the UCS FI to the MDS and connect the MDS to the CX4-120 and do the zoning with the MDS
  • •2. Connect the UCS FI directly to the CX4-120 and not be able to do zoning but utilize LUN masking
  • •3. Connect the UCS directly the CX4-120 as well as the MDS and do the zoning from the MDS but the data path is directly from the FI and the SAN.

I am concerned that since we only have 2 interfaces per SP that the 2 Gb/s limitation of the MDS could be an issue. Also do you think we even need the MDS or will LUN masking be acceptable for our environment, we will be using the UCS for our UC infrastructure as well as some management servers.

Has anyone deployed in a similar manner?

Thanks,

Joe

15 Replies 15

No, these would not be assigned globaly. VSAN 3000 on FIA, VSA 3001 on FIB. Each with a unique FCoE VLAN ID.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card