cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating HX cluster with compute-only nodes

Markus5849
Level 1
Level 1

I'm going to create a new standard HX cluster with 3 converged and 3 compute-only nodes. May I know is it possible for me to choose also the compute-only nodes during cluster creation? Or I have to expand the HX cluster after creation with compute-only nodes?

17 Replies 17

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Initial cluster creation is always converged only nodes.  You will need a subsequent expansion to add the compute nodes.

Kirk...

I see, noted on this. Another question for the VMware ESXi host installation. Currently the compute-only nodes only have 2 local SSD without any RAID and OS installation. 

As I checked from the knowledge article I'm thinking of below steps:
1. Create service profile from the HX Service Profile Template
2. Edit the Local Disk Configuration Policy
3. Install ESXi host after service profile associated
4. Run Cluster HXDP Expansion Workflow

For the Local Disk Configuration Policy, may I know should I configure it for 2 disks to be RAID 1 or leave it as slot 1 for OS, slot 2 for Cache?

From compute only nodes (which don't have ESXi installed). . .

I would:

1. Run the HX installer to let the installer create the UCS Service profile and associate the SP the compute-only servers.
  2. The HX installer will stop/fail at something like "can't access ESXi via SoL".
  3. At this point open the KVM and manually install HX ESXi (from cisco.com) on the compute-only nodes.
  4. [Retry] on the HX installer.

I'm assuming you have the M.2 boot drive, but I guess compute nodes could come with front facing / external SSDs.
There are two controller modules for M.2 boot on UCS:

• UCS-MSTOR-M2 If you have this one, then only one M.2 will be used. The second disk will go unused.
  • UCS-M2-HWRAID If you have this one, then the two M.2 disks will create a RAID1/mirror. HX should detect this and configure the UCS boot policy accordingly.

In Hyperflex the compute only nodes don't do any local disk caching.

Hi Steven,

As checked, my compute-only node doesn't have any M.2 disks and above mentioned controllers are not present in the server. I can only see 2 local SSD and a Cisco 12G Modular RAID Controller. So in this case I believe the OS installation shall be on the local SSD but how about the RAID? Will the HX detects it and configure automatically or I have to do it manually?

Hyperflex installer should auto-detect the disks and add them to a RAID1/mirror.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/hyperconverged_systems/HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware/AdminGuide/4-5/b-hxdp-admin-guide-4-5/m_expand_the_cisco_hx_cluster.html

Prerequisites for Adding a Compute-Only Node

Compute-only nodes are deployed with automatic detection and configuration of disk and boot policies based on the
boot hardware. Starting with HX Data Platform release 4.5(1a) and later, compute-only nodes are deployed with automatic detection
and configuration of disk and boot policies based on the inventoried boot hardware. Users cannot directly select
the UCSM policies. Instead, the boot device is automatically determined based on the first acceptable boot media
discovered in the server. The tables below show the priority order for M4/M5 generation servers. Reading from top
to bottom, the first entry that is a match based on the inventoried hardware are selected automatically during
cluster expansion. For example, when expanding with a B200 compute node with a single M.2 boot SSD, the second
rule in the table below is a match and used for SPT association.

On that same page, your configuration should select: compute-nodes-m6-ldr1

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the information. I'll try with your provided steps and update you again on the outcome.

1. Run the HX installer to let the installer create the UCS Service profile and associate the SP the compute-only servers.
  2. The HX installer will stop/fail at something like "can't access ESXi via SoL".
  3. At this point open the KVM and manually install HX ESXi (from cisco.com) on the compute-only nodes.
  4. [Retry] on the HX installer.

Thanks a lot

Hi Steven,

I'm trying to read the article and found below steps:

Markus5849_0-1683102587385.png

It mentions there will be an automatic association but how? I have the HXDP installer OVA deployed and may I know how should I achieve this? If I click on the standard workflow for cluster expansion, it won't allow me to select Compute-Only node. I've to click on the "I know what I'm doing" for adding compute-only node. But from there, if I tick ESXi configuration & Deploy HX Software, it won't allow me to select the compute-only node. So after I deployed the HXDP installer, what is the next action like which should I click into for having the service profile automatic association as I'm a bit confuse in this.

My current compute-only nodes have no ESXi installed and I have a lot of compute-only nodes and each of them need to be added to three different HX cluster.

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Using HX 4.5(2d) installer in my lab. . .

1) Open Installer and [Expand Cluster] / [Standard Cluster]

StevenTardy_0-1683131755591.png

2) Fill out UCSM / vCenter details

StevenTardy_1-1683131876726.png

3) Choose cluster to expand [HX-01a] and enter credentials

StevenTardy_2-1683131963091.png

4) Choose what (unassociated) (compute-only) servers to add to the cluster

StevenTardy_3-1683132183226.png

5) [Continue] if CIMC IP Pools have enough IPs.

StevenTardy_4-1683132695351.png

6) Give ESXi an management IP

StevenTardy_5-1683132860940.png

7) Give ESXi a data/storage IP

StevenTardy_6-1683132950882.png

Warning will show detailing boot configuration changes needing to be done

StevenTardy_7-1683133027244.png

Will update more once the installer gets further along and the forums eats all of my screenshots.

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HX installer queried UCSM and found this server had a 32GB FlexFlash (SD card).

StevenTardy_8-1683133775225.png

Don't have proper DNS setup in the lab 'cuz "Cisco".

StevenTardy_9-1683133828491.png

9) Eventually saw this server had old ESXi 6.5 on it instead of ESXi 7.0u3

StevenTardy_10-1683135667186.png

10) Mount ESXi .iso via KVM vMedia / [Activate Virtual Devices] / [CD/DVD] / [Browse] / HX.iso / [Map Drive] / [Reset]

StevenTardy_11-1683135708041.png

StevenTardy_12-1683135720671.png

StevenTardy_13-1683135735615.png

StevenTardy_14-1683135747908.png

StevenTardy_15-1683135801477.png

11) Install ESXi [continue] / [SD Cards/M.2] username/password = erase/erase

StevenTardy_16-1683136221375.png

StevenTardy_17-1683136268754.png

Twiddle thumbs while the installer .iso puts ESXi bits on the local disks.

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ESXi install completed.

StevenTardy_18-1683137463074.png

12) HX installer was still running in the background and applied the static IP

StevenTardy_19-1683137504173.png

13) HX installer continued and complained about lack of A/PTR records (again)

StevenTardy_20-1683137842009.png

14) Hit an issue where my lab cluster is in a non-typical configuration preventing the [Deploy] step from completing.

StevenTardy_21-1683139620807.png

What step is your install failing?

Hi Steven,

I failed on the first step which is after selecting compute-only nodes from the standard cluster expansion workflow. My compute-only node is UCS C220 M5SX and with two local disks. Why would this error appear?

Markus5849_1-1683210398064.png

Morning Markus, 

it looks like it is taking the new server as a converged node instead of a compute-only node, that's the kind of error I've seen before, since Disk type is irrelevant for a compute-only node.

trying to find some relevant info to compare to.

AIV

Hi KyoCode,

May I know do you have any solution for this since you have faced it before?

Appreciate that.

KyoCode
Level 1
Level 1

quick question (maybe irrelevant), is your current browser in a different language than english? there's a defect in which workflow will complain about browser language CSCwe45153

AIV

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card