Views
Helpful
Replies

FI Uplink connectivity doubt

prasad.gsmc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 1 10Gbps uplink from each of my FI. I need to remove 10G and connect 1G instead. Can a pull two cables in parllel to 10G and connect to uplink switch and then remove the 10G link without much service downtime.

Also can I connect the new 2 x 1 Gbps links in portchannel.

Option 1

1) while the 10 g link is present

• Connect 2 x 1 Gbps link in parllel to respective upstream switch
  • remove 10 Gbps link

Option 2

1) While the 10 g link is present

• Connect 2 x 1 gbps link in parllel to respective upstream switch
  • Bundle the new links into portchannel from the uplink manager
  • remove the 10 Gbps link

Is option 2 feasible

regards

Prasad K

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That's perfect !

after you have create a pc of 2 1G links, the new outgoing sessions will be loadbalanced over the pc and 10G link; also, UCS will rebalance the outgoing sessions (I think its about every 10 minutes), and achieve an even distributed load (sessions ! not bandwidth). 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I assume you have 62xx fabric interconnects ? and therefore any ethernet port can be 1 or 10 Gbps ?

Both  options work, option 2 with pc is of course the preferred one. There will be an automatic repinning of the existing sessions (assuming that you didn't do manual/static pinning).

Be however aware that some East-West traffic has to leave UCS domain, becoming L2 switched outside, and then reenter UCS, which is then limited to 1G (this applies even in the case that the traffic is in the same vlan)

Thank you for clarification. So in option 2, when I do a portchannel for 2 x 1 g interfaces, for small duration of time I will have 2 links to my uplink switch,  1 x 10gbps and a portchannel. Hope this is fine and traffic can pass without any issue. I will remove the 10G after a day or so.

I dont have much b/w need at present and can afford 1G links.

thank you for your support, just share your thoughts in this query as well.

That's perfect !

after you have create a pc of 2 1G links, the new outgoing sessions will be loadbalanced over the pc and 10G link; also, UCS will rebalance the outgoing sessions (I think its about every 10 minutes), and achieve an even distributed load (sessions ! not bandwidth). 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card