Views
Helpful
Replies

FI6248UP Faulty Fan module

Nick Veronski
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community.

I've opened a case eventually but the issue is really strange.

I have two Fabric Interconnect 6248UP and one of the Fan modules emits excessive noise.

When looking at UCS Manager none of the Fan Modules are faulty and there are no events.

And each of the Fan modules statistics show RPM, none of them is considerably lower then the other.

Can i remove one of the Fan Modules to find the one making the loud noise, will the FI won't go panicking with only one Fan Module present ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Connect to FI in question via cli:

#connect nxos

nxos#show environment fan detail

nxos#show environment temperature

You can also check the UCSM gui, equipment, FI, Fan modules, and see if there are any alerts.

Just because you have a noise doesn't necessarily mean the thermal, RPM, sensors will trigger if those don't have any thresholds that are impacted.

Thanks,

Kirk...

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is correct.

The spec sheet lists the fans as 1 + 1, which should represent the min requirement + the spare.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Thanks that's very informative.

is there aditional ways to identify the fault one through UCS Manager?

I imagine if it's loud you should see noticebly lower rpm statistics on of the fans.

#connect nxos

You can also check the UCSM gui, equipment, FI, Fan modules, and see if there are any alerts.

Just because you have a noise doesn't necessarily mean the thermal, RPM, sensors will trigger if those don't have any thresholds that are impacted.

Thanks,

Kirk...

@Kirk J wrote:

#connect nxos

Thanks,

Kirk...

Thanks Kirk that is helpful.

I will go through the logs to spot the noisy one if there are any threshold crossed.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card