Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexflash card and UCS C firmware upgrade

Danilo Molini
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm facing a problem with UCS C firmware upgrade and flexflash card.

We have some UCS C220 M3 installed with esxi 5.0u2 on flexflash card and we want to upgrade UCS firmware from 1.4.7b to 2.0.1b using the host upgrade utility.

The upgrade was done fine, but when server reboot was unable to load operating system. If I check from CIMC GUI I saw that flexflash card was in error (Invalid RAID) and no virtual drives were detected. I tried to do some check and I also reset the controller but nothing change.

So I tried to downgrade to 1.5.7a2 but problem was the same.

After checked a lot of release notes I notice this about flexflash card:

firmware version 1.5.3 or lower:
Overview of the Pre-Installed Cisco Flexible Flash Card
The Cisco Flexible Flash card is pre-installed with three software bundles, each on one of four preconfigured virtual drives (VDs). The fourth VD allows you to install an OS or an embedded hypervisor.
The VDs are configured with the following content:
•Cisco UCS Server Configuration Utility (SCU).
•Hypervisor (HV). This is a VD that you can use for your own purposes.
•Cisco Drivers (Drivers).
•Cisco Host Upgrade Utility (HUU).

firmware version 1.5.4 or higher:
Overview of the Pre-Installed Cisco Flexible Flash Card
Starting with this version, the SD storage device is available to CIMC as a single hypervisor (HV) partition configuration. Prior versions had four virtual USB drives.

Seems to be that after 1.5.4 there is a different partition schema...

So after this check, I tried to install firmware 1.5.3d (with old partition schema) and flexflash card was seen correctly from UCS and I was able to boot the operating system.

Now my question is: there is a particular procedure to upgrade from release prior 1.5.3 to release 1.5.4 or higher if I have OS installed on flexflash? Is possible to convert 4 partition schema in the new single partition schema used starting from release 1.5.4 without losing data? Or I need to reset the partition schema and install the OS from scratch?

I don't find anything about this on cisco web site and supportforums...

Regards

Danilo

2 Replies 2

gsharma4
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Danilo,

Hope below link will be helpful:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/data-center-virtualization/unified-computing/whitepaper_C11-718938.pdf

Regards,

Gaurav

Hi Gaurav,

thanks for your reply. I already read the whitepaper but it refers to SD cards with 4 partition.

Starting from firmware 1.5.4 SD cards has only one single HV Partition, so the white paper seems not apply to the new version of firmware.

Regards

Danilo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: