Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate UCS from Direct FC links to storage to Nexus 5K

amoussaPersonal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Currently the UCS FIs are connected diretly to EMC storage using FC expansion module (FC Switch mode)

I need to migrate these FC uplinks to N5K which will be connected to the storage (without down time).

Is this possible?

I have two FIs, can I disconnect FI B from the storage --> change his mode to NPV (host mode) and connect it to the nexus

then do the same on the FI A?

Since these two FIs are redundant and VmWare ESX has a built in Multipathing software I should not loose connection to the storage at any time in this migration.

am I right?

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Changing from FC switching mode to end host mode (NPV) will take effect for both the switches at the same time and will need th switches to be reloaded. Post the reload you will have to re-configure the FC settings as well.

./Abhinav

View solution in original post

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
4 Replies 4

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Changing from FC switching mode to end host mode (NPV) will take effect for both the switches at the same time and will need th switches to be reloaded. Post the reload you will have to re-configure the FC settings as well.

./Abhinav

So I cannot change the mode on one Fabric interconnect only, and therefore I will loose connectivity with SAN.

is there any alternative to migrate without down time?

Yes, you cannot change the mode on the FIs individually.

Let me check on the options available for you to do this but most certainly you will need a downtime for this migration.

Abhinav

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0.pdf

Page 68

You will need planned downtime to make this change unfortunately.

Regards,

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card