Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from HP C7000 to Cisco UCS

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What is the best way to migrate servers currently on HP chassis equpment to a brand new Cisco UCS chassis? Is there for instance a a HP tool to migrate over to a boot lun? Then we can boot the same servers up on Cisco UCS?

Or do we have to reinstall all the servers and restore backups in a maintenance window?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

physical server = e.g. ESXi ? you have to install this in your UCS blades ? same would apply for Windows and/or Linux ? I don't see any other solution ?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Atle

Don't know which OS you have ? OS installed on local disks ?

Lets assume this is a VMware ESXi installation (Hyper-V would work essentially very similar).

You would setup UCS domain; connect to the common network and storage.

Then you would install ESXi on the local disk of boot over SAN ? then add this ESXi host in vCenter to the cluster, having nodes on the HP C7000 and UCS; then you could vmotion VM's to the new platform.

We have done many such migrations in a nondisruptive fashion.

Walter.

yes, we can do that for VMs. But what about physical servers?

physical server = e.g. ESXi ? you have to install this in your UCS blades ? same would apply for Windows and/or Linux ? I don't see any other solution ?

I was looking to see if therewas a online migration tool , lik eEMC Host Migration Enabler, between HP and EMC storage.

Hi,

beyond what Walter Dey said ... take a look at this link: Data Center Case Study: How Cisco IT Migrates Critical Applications from HP Superdome to Unified Computing System.

Hope this helps

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card