Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v requirements

Hi,

I have UCS-B with v-sphere 5.5

Can I install nexus 1000v basic edition ?

Or I must have a specific version of ESXi as VMware Enterprise Plus license on the hosts ?

Also will I loss any feature that is given with vmware standard switch when moving to basic nexus 1000v ?

I know that nexus 1000v advanced edition require licenses to cover the number physical CPUs on the server on which the VEM is running.

So please confirm if I can start installing nexus 1000v using the ova files on my vsphere standard ?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Checking the release notes for a specific SV release such as http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/5_x/release_notes/b_Cisco_N1KV_VMware_521SV313_ReleaseNotes.html there is a  'Software Compatibility with VMware' section, that will note what ESXi versions are supported.

The Nexus 1000V is a type of DVS so the VMware licensing requirements are the same as DVS

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/5_2_1_s_v_3_1_4/install/guide/b_Cisco_N1KV_VMware_Install_and_Upgrade_Guide_521SV314/b_Cisco_N1KV_VMware_Install_and_Upgrade_Guide_521SV314a_chapter_01.html#d535e599a1635  

shows  that you  will need to have installed the VMware Enterprise Plus license on the hosts.

For essential vs advanced, see http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/nexus-1000v-switch-vmware-vsphere/index.html

Features Essential Edition Advanced Edition
Layer 2 switching: VLANs, private VLANs, VXLAN, loop prevention, multicast, virtual PortChannels, LACP, ACLs Yes Yes
Network management: SPAN, ERSPAN, NetFlow 9, vTracker, vCenter Server plug-in Yes Yes
Enhanced QoS features Yes Yes
Cisco vPath Yes Yes
DHCP Snooping No Yes
IP Source Guard No Yes
Dynamic ARP Inspection No Yes
Cisco TrustSec SGA Support No Yes
Cisco Virtual Security Gateway Supported1 Included
Other Virtual Services (Cisco ASA1000V, Cisco vWAAS, etc.) Available separately Available separately

1 Shipping Virtual Security Gateway (VSG) versions are supported on Essential and Advanced editions. VSG is no longer available as a standalone product.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Hi Kirk,

Thanks a lot for your reply and sorry for my delay

So to install Nexus 1000v I need vmware enterprise plus license and nexus 1000v license per cpu ?

Please confirm me on this or there is a way to install the essential eddition of nexus 1000v with base license that I think it is free. So I need only the software to do it permanent ?

Thanks again

Haitham

You will need VMware Enterprise Plus license on hosts.

If you don't need the features listed in the 'Advanced' column that aren't provided in the 'Essential' column, then you don't need to install a license, as it will be in 'essential edition' by default.

Please keep in mind if you need to call into TAC for N1K assistance you will have to have purchased some sort of N1K support contract.

Thanks,

Kirk... 

Thanks again

final question

Is cisco one foundation for ucs include nexus 1000 v license ? Or it won't add a difference ?

thanks

haitham

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card