cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OS install via KVM very slow

Brandon Koehler
Level 1
Level 1

I'm installing ESXi and Windows Server 2008 R2 via the Virtual Media tab on the UCS KVM Console, but noticed that it's really, really slow. My network meter is showing a send rate of 1.1 Mbps per session. Is this normal?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Brandon,

Please provide following information

1)  UCSM and blade firmware version

2)  Blade model

3)  Is ISO source located on same LAN as FI mgmt interface ?

4)  In BIOS poliy ( for both platform-default and specific to the blade ) , what is the configured value for following USB parameters

Legacy USB

" USB System Idle Power Optimizing Setting"

Padma

1) We are using UCSM 2.1(1e) same on the blades.

2) Blade model is B200M3

3) ISO is located on my computer, which is on a different VLAN

4) The USB setting is 'Platform Default'

Hello,

What is the read rate ( you can view it by clicking on vmedia tab ) ?

Is it reproducible every time ( just if we try to boot off the ISO image ) ?

Can you try resetting CIMC and verify the behavior ?

If it resolves for one blade or does not help, please open a TAC service request for further investigation.

Padma

I'm seeing this issue too however, I can understand your questions but can you offer a 'best practice' for a particular design such as:

UCS and Fabrics exist on separate subnet

Configuration and Installation of UCS, ESXi will take place from local workstation attaching ISO's from mapped drive.

This last Chassis and Fabric I've done has been a real bear and the noticable difference has been the remote access config and install. I actually upgraded everything to 2.1.1f, set static IP's on the CIMC's and at first that looked to clear up some traffic issues caused by the UCSM's mgmt IP Pool assigning 2 IP's to 1 blade, In other words it assigned one to the server and one to the service profile (but that's another issue :-) )

In any case overall improvement was little to none.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card