cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Physical/Virtual Drives not Showing in C240M5?

Joseph Vlajcic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I've got a new C240M5 with 4x240GB SSDs in Bays 1-4. I can see them in the Bios when I run the software RAID utility. BIOS lets me build a virtual drive and initialize it, but when I look in inventory in CIMC or try to install something they don't show up. The Cisco UCS C240 M5 Server Installation and Service Guide isn't much help here - I'm sure I'm missing something simple but I can't figure out what it is. 

I tried downloading updated BIOS firmware and the config utility from software.cisco.com but every time I try to load from the virtual DVD I get the PXE error. 

Screenshots below - can anyone suggest a next step? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Picture1.pngPicture2.pngPicture3.pngPicture4.pngPicture5.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brian Morrissey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For software raid it is normal that it doesn't show up in the CIMC inventory.  The only spot you will see the disks in the CIMC is under the sensors tab for hard disk status/presence.

For the OS not seeing it, it is because ESXi does not support software raid with megasr:

NOTE: Embedded software RAID is limited to Windows and Linux operating systems
only. There is no VMWare support for embedded software RAID.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/c240m5-sff-specsheet.pdf

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Brian Morrissey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For software raid it is normal that it doesn't show up in the CIMC inventory.  The only spot you will see the disks in the CIMC is under the sensors tab for hard disk status/presence.

For the OS not seeing it, it is because ESXi does not support software raid with megasr:

NOTE: Embedded software RAID is limited to Windows and Linux operating systems
only. There is no VMWare support for embedded software RAID.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/c240m5-sff-specsheet.pdf

Ah, got it - thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card