Views
Helpful
Replies

RAID 1 Hot Swap with Previously Used HDD - UCS B200-M3

Anaximander
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All, 

I have one UCS B200 M3 blade with a predictive HDD failure.

<faultInst
 ack="no"
 cause="equipment-degraded"
 changeSet=""
 code="F0996"
 created="2019-04-27T00:50:10Z"
 descr="Local disk 1 on server 2/6 operability: degraded. Reason: Drive state: predictive-failure"
 highestSeverity="warning"
 id="6591693"
 lastTransition="2019-04-27T00:50:10Z"
 lc="none"
 occur="1"
 origSeverity="warning"
 prevSeverity="warning"
 rule="storage-local-disk-degraded"
 severity="warning"
 tags="server"
 type="equipment"
 dn="sys/chassis-2/blade-6/board/storage-SAS-1/disk-1/fault-F0996"

status="created"

sacl="addchild,del,mod">
 </faultInst>

I want to replace one of its RAID 1 drives with an identically spec'd HDD but this replacement HDD was previously used and is formatted for another RAID 1 mirror from a different server. What steps if any do I have to take to make sure the RAID 1 mirror is correctly rebuilt over this newly replaced drive? Can I just hot swap out the failing drive and replace it with the drive from this other server then reboot into WebBIOS? Or should I power down while I replace the drive, boot into WebBIOS with CTRL + H then do the steps outlined below? 

I don't want the wrong mirror to take precedent and destroy the OS/RAID 1 array that runs the server I want to replace the drive on (error message above). 

It seems the steps are https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/raid/configuration/guide/RAID_GUIDE/MegaRAID.html#81431:  

If WebBIOS CU detects a foreign configuration, the Foreign Configuration window appears.

Step 1blank.gif In the Foreign Configuration window, click the Select Configuration drop-down list to show the configurations.

The GUID (Global Unique Identifier) entries in the drop-down list are OEM names and will vary from one installation to another.

Step 2blank.gif Choose a configuration or All Configurations.

Step 3blank.gif To preview or clear a foreign configuration, do one of the following:

• Click Preview to preview the foreign configuration. The Foreign Configuration Preview window appears.
  • Click Clear to clear the foreign configuration and reuse the drives for another virtual drive.

If you click Cancel, it cancels the importation or preview of the foreign configuration.

The right pane shows the virtual drive properties of the foreign configuration. The left pane shows the drives in the foreign configuration.

Step 4blank.gif Click Import to import this foreign configuration and use it on this controller.

If you click Cancel, you return to the Foreign Configuration window.

Are there any further steps/issues I should be aware of in this case? 

Thank you for your time.

1 Reply 1

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You actually want to clear the foreign config, vs importing it.

I would do the swap will booted into the webbios utility, and rescan after drive swap.

Occasionally, you may need to mark the replaced drive (with cleared foreign config) as a hotspare, before the original raid 1 will utilize it to rebuild the degraded raid.

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card