cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Raid & drives disappeared

jwood.ok
Level 1
Level 1

I was repurposing an older server I had.  It's a UCS C220 M3S.  Got the raid array all set up, installed the OS, everything has been running fine.  Fast forward to a few minutes ago.  I powered the server off so that I could re-route some cables in the rack.  After doing that stuff, I  plugged everything back in and powered back on.  The CIMC comes up, but not the OS, so check out to see what's happening and when i get to where normally the shortcut CTRL-M for Raid config is, it says no virtual drive found and no drives found.

Now, it is starting to sound like I've lost at least a day's work building this, which is going to stink, but more than that, I am trying to figure out what the heck happened?  The drives all have green lights but it seems they aren't being seen.  Any suggestions?

Edit:  After doing some more reading, I thought I would provide more information. What I have is 8 x 300 GB drives that I set up in a RAID 10 array.  I then installed Windows Server 2012R2 on it.  It's worked fine for several days until I powered off, unplugged everything and plugged back in.

2 Replies 2

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does the RAID controller show up in the CIMC? Did you make sure the RAID controller firmware is in sync with the other server components?

It sounds like your controller or SAS cables may have issues. Try to reseat the controller and SAS cables and check the status.

Well, it would appear that crisis is averted, but this is really odd.

So when this server was initially installed (not by me), it had an additional network adapter added in.  When I got my server all up and running, this morning i set up NIC teaming, using one build in port and one in the add-in card.

Apparently that caused the whole thing to fritz out.  When I unplug the network cable from the add-in card, everything boots fine.  When it is plugged in though, the raid controller sees no drives.  No idea how that is related, but I reproduced it.  I moved my second cable for nic teaming to the built in port 2 and everything seems to be working.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card