cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS 220 ESXi host upgrade to 7.x from 6.5 without CIMC

arumugasamy
Level 1
Level 1

I am using the old UCS server C220 and the need for me now is to upgrade the ESXi host to 7.x from the current 6.5 version. CIMC is not working. I am facing the problem with java. So now I have to find the way how to upgrade the host with ESxi web client (https://<ESXI host IP address>

Please give your support how to do it. 

But I had already done the upgrade of the Host running on VMware workstation as VM in my home lab where I can mount the ISO in the CD/DVD then under options select the boot order to boot from CD/DVD. 

4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you can connect to the ESXi 6.x host, why don't you download the offline .zip bundle to local datastore instead of the iso method, and upgrade via esxcli software commands?

Kirk...

How to choose the path?

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.esxi.upgrade.doc/GUID-E51C5DB6-F28E-42E8-ACA4-0EBDD11DF55D.html

esxcli software profile update --depot=<depot_location> --profile=<profile_name>

You get the profile name from the downloaded offline zip bundle with command:

esxcli software sources profile list -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore/HX-Vmware-ESXi-60U2-4192238-Cisco-Custom-Bundle-6.0.2.3.zip

Name                                      Vendor  Acceptance Level

----------------------------------------  ------  ----------------

Vmware-ESXi-60U2-4192238-Cisco-Custom-HX  Cisco   PartnerSupported

Example  

esxcli software profile update -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore/HX-Vmware-ESXi-60U2-4192238-Cisco-Custom-Bundle-6.0.2.3.zip -p Vmware-ESXi-60U2-4192238-Cisco-Custom-HX

You can use winscp or esxi vsphere client to copy the upgrade offline bundle zip file to a datastore mounted on the esxi host.

You might need the parameter --no-hardware-warning added if there are deprecated drivers no longer present in the destination version you are upgrading to.

Obviously, you'll need to adjust the offline bundle name, profile name, and path to the file to match your environment.

Kirk...

Thanks bro,

Using the booable USB connected to the KVM and changed the Boot location. Completed successfully.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card