Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Nexus 5000 & SAN storage

rohan0004
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

My objective is to boot server from san storage.

My setup:

--------

UCS---(FCOE)--->Nexus5000----(FC)-----SAN storage

As per the document when I am configuring UCS for FCOE Uplink, there is no option to set the VSAN id.

I have created the VSAN 500 and then making one of the port in FI for FCOE uplink.

I logged in to command line of the FI-A and noticed that the VSAN is not tagged to the FCOE port

ST-MO-FI-A-01-A(nxos)# show npv status

npiv is enabled

disruptive load balancing is disabled

External Interfaces:

====================

Interface: vfc778, State: Trunking

VSAN:    1, State: Waiting For VSAN Up

VSAN:  510, State: Up, FCID: 0x0a0040

Number of External Interfaces: 1

Server Interfaces:

==================

Interface: vfc787, VSAN:    1, State: Waiting for External Interface

Number of Server Interfaces: 1

I have noticed that all the FC and the FCOE interface are stuck in the VSAN 1 and I am not able to change it to VSAN 510.

Please help.

Thanks,

Rohan Raj

6 Replies 6

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rohan

You should be able to change any port to a VSAN =/ 1 ; by default, they are all in VSAN 1 !

This might require a additional command.

see http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-manager/116188-configure-fcoe-00.html

Walter.

Hi Walter,

I am trying to do this on the on FCOE up-link created on the Fabic interconnect.

I don't see an option to change the vsan.

Hello,

I can confirm this. Beginning with version 2.2 it is no longer possible to change the vsan ID.

For normal FCoE-uplinks it would make sense to set the desired vsan, but it is not possible. For san uplink trunks it would make sense to set the desired native vsan this way, but it is not possible, too.

Please let me clarify that we are talking about FCoE uplinks, not FCoE storage ports.

Thanks for the reply.

We are talking about FCoE uplink not FCoE storage ports.

I have checked this blog

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/116248-configure-fcoe-00.html

Check the Step 8 of "Configure UCS FCoE Port Channel" to set the VSAN and i don't find this.

Thanks,

Rohan Raj

You are right Rohan, this step is no longer available with version 2.2

Gerald Gans
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rohan,

is this issue still ongoing for you?

From the show npv status I see, that your external interface is up in VSAN 510. So your vfc 778 which is surely bind to a port-channel or ethernet port is up and running.

The lower part, server interfaces, shows down for VSAN 1. So, you should check the HBAs of your server and set these to the correct VSAN 510. Respectively on fabric A and B under the HBA templates or in the service profile.

Cheers

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card