Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS WWPN not logging in MDS 9124

davidfafel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to connect UCS to an MDS 9124, but can’t get the UCS WWPN’s to show in the MDS flogi database. I (believe) I have my vHBA & vSAN configured correctly and NPIV is enabled on the MDS. I’m not using port channels and I’m in FC end-host mode. When looking at the flogi database on the 6248 (A), I can see the WWPN.

I have link on both the FI’s (6248’s) and the MDS switch. However, the MDS shows the ports from the UCS as e-ports and I thought they were supposed to be f-ports?

I'm probably overlooking something simple. Any advice is appreciated.

-Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David,

From the information you've provided, I'm almost certain your 6248 is in FC switch mode. You're mds ports are enabling as E (ISL). If you can provide a "show interface brief" from the 6248 connect nx-os. This will confirm it. Look for the Oper Mode (E for switch, NP for NPV)

But, we can confirm if you can provide us with some of these outputs

Other ways to check on the UCS in connect nx-os:

NPV is not enabled:

Lab-6100-A(nxos)# show run | inc npv

Lab-6100-A(nxos)#

Lab-6100-A(nxos)# show npv ?

^

% Invalid command at '^' marker.

NPV is enabled:

pod1-6248-1-A(nxos)# show run | inc npv

logging level npv 2

feature npv

pod1-6248-1-A(nxos)# show npv

external-interface-usage   status

flogi-table                traffic-map

internal

pod1-6248-1-A(nxos)# show npv status

npiv is enabled <-- the output is a little misleading, it is npv mode, not a npiv core

Another clue is whether you can actually run on the 6248 "show flogi database", this will fail in End-Host-Mode, but succeed in FC switch mode. In fc NPV (End-host-mode) only "show npv flogi-table" will respond

If you are in fc switch mode, then you will not see the vHBA wwpn on the MDS running "show flogi database". That only show fc logins directly connected to the switch, or proxied by NPV. You need to run "show fcns database" which will show all fc logins fabric wide.

If your ISLs ("E" ports) are passing the correct vsans, the show fcns database on the MDS will provide you with the logged in WWPN's which you can use for zoning.

Dave

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

rewilkin
Level 1
Level 1

Ensure the vHBA's are pointing to the correct vsan. Do you have service profiles created and powered up with valid wwpn showing in the storage tab of the service profile?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Reginald,

Thanks for the reply. Yes the vHBA's are pointing to the vSAN (ID is 1996, so I believe I'm within the usable range) and the service profiles are applied and powered up. Also the WWPN's are derived from my pool and show up on the service profile storage tabs.

The interesting thing is that the ports show good link on the MDS device manager, but they show up as ISL ports (e-ports). Is that normal? (if I were to change the vSAN ID they show no link or down)

It appears as if the ports are logging into the MDS, but I'm assuming because they're logging in as ISL ports, they're not showing up in the flogi database?

I can see my storage WWID's in the MDS flogi database, but not the UCS. All the ports are in the same zone on the MDS.

Thanks again.

-Dave

Hi Dave,

If UCS FI is running NPV mode ( end host mode), the port on MDS should be F port or TF port ( F port with trunking capability). UCS FI port should be NP port or T-NP port ( NP port with trunking) correspondingly.

So in your system, you can change MDS port mode from E to F if no trunking needed, or enable fport-channel-trunk feature on MDS and enable trunk on UCS if trunking is needed.

Please let me know result.

BR,

John Meng

Hi John,

I have the MDS ports configured for Auto mode. When I force the port to f-mode, link immediately fails. In fact any mode other than Auto seems to fail. But in Auto, it's picked up as an ISL port.

I'm using the default interop mode on the vsan, should I be using a different interop mode? I've tried several, but it doesn't seem to change things.

thanks,

Dave

David,

From the information you've provided, I'm almost certain your 6248 is in FC switch mode. You're mds ports are enabling as E (ISL). If you can provide a "show interface brief" from the 6248 connect nx-os. This will confirm it. Look for the Oper Mode (E for switch, NP for NPV)

But, we can confirm if you can provide us with some of these outputs

Other ways to check on the UCS in connect nx-os:

NPV is not enabled:

Lab-6100-A(nxos)# show run | inc npv

Lab-6100-A(nxos)#

Lab-6100-A(nxos)# show npv ?

^

% Invalid command at '^' marker.

NPV is enabled:

pod1-6248-1-A(nxos)# show run | inc npv

logging level npv 2

feature npv

pod1-6248-1-A(nxos)# show npv

external-interface-usage   status

flogi-table                traffic-map

internal

pod1-6248-1-A(nxos)# show npv status

npiv is enabled <-- the output is a little misleading, it is npv mode, not a npiv core

Another clue is whether you can actually run on the 6248 "show flogi database", this will fail in End-Host-Mode, but succeed in FC switch mode. In fc NPV (End-host-mode) only "show npv flogi-table" will respond

If you are in fc switch mode, then you will not see the vHBA wwpn on the MDS running "show flogi database". That only show fc logins directly connected to the switch, or proxied by NPV. You need to run "show fcns database" which will show all fc logins fabric wide.

If your ISLs ("E" ports) are passing the correct vsans, the show fcns database on the MDS will provide you with the logged in WWPN's which you can use for zoning.

Dave

Hi Dave,

You're right, Oper mode from the 6248 shows as E and I was in FC Switching Mode. - I must have been bleary-eyed and tired as I really thought I had that set back to End-Host-Mode (I had changed to FC Switching as I was trying to troubleshoot and must have forgotten to set it back. )

I can now see the WWPN's in the MDS switch.

Thank you for your help!

-Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card