cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCSM Serive Profille error [not enough vNIC,Connection-placement,not enough resources overall]

Ron Baduach
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Guys,

I'm working in Cisco, and we have some issue for a few days, so i thought it might be helpful to ask it here .

We created service profile with 3 vNICs, and tried to associate it to some server [actually we tried 4 different servers], and always, the error we get is :

"not enough vNIC

connection-placement

There are not enough resources overall"

Once I saw the error code is F0327 , but not always .

I suspect that it's something with IO Module or don't know what ?!?!

Please, someone can assist ?

Thanks in advance ,

Ron

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi guys,

Just wanted to post this for everyone else reference.

Blade: B200 M1

Adapter: Cisco UCS M71KR-E

3 VNICS were being applied. Two VNICS to Fabric Interconnect A and 1 VNIC to Fabric Interconnect B. It was failing with the error "connection placement". This is due to the fact that this adapter is part of the Menlo series in which the physical NICs are mapped left and right they do not support "Enable Failover". This is due to the Menlo being hard mapped to each Fabric Interconnect so this would mean one VNIC / VHBA per Fabric Interconnect.

Once this was corrected this error subsided and the service profile association was completed.

Regards,

Qiese Dides

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Qiese Dides
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ron,

The possible reason in this instance that we were receiving the above error is because of VMQ configuration. Can you make sure how many VMQ connection policies you have total?

For Example: If you have two VMQ Connection Policies

VMQ-1 VMQ connection policy had it's number of VMQ set to 12, while VMQ-2 VMQ connection policy was configured for 50 VMQ.  The Service profile had the following vNICs:

vNICs - VMQ:
vnic1 - 0
vnic2 - 50 - VMQ-2
vnic3 - 50 - VMQ-2
vnic4 - 50 - VMQ-2
vnic5 - 12 - VMQ-1
vnic6 - 50 - VMQ-2
vnic7 - 50 - VMQ-2

Total number of VMQ from above configuration is 262 VMQs

The maximum allowed VMQ on any supporting adapter is 128 VMQ.  If it exceeds 128 VMQ on any adapter, the profile association will fail with the errors mentioned above.

To fix this, we would have to modify the VMQ-2 connection policy (LAN > Policies > root/sub-org > VMQ Connection Policies) to only include 10 VMQ instead of 50.  This made the total VMQ for the Service Profile only 62 VMQ.  Once this config change had been made, you will be able to successfully associate the profile to the blade.

Additional info for VMQ creation and application:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2-2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2_chapter_010101.html#d71329e5581a1635

Articles with extensive information regarding VMQ application:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2013/09/10/vmq-deep-dive-1-of-3.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2013/09/10/vmq-deep-dive-2-of-3.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2013/09/10/vmq-deep-dive-3-of-3.aspx

Hope this help.

Regards,

Qiese Dides

Hi Qiese, Thanks for your reply .

Actually , before you wrote your comment, my vNICs "connection policy" was "Dynamic vNIC" .

Now, I changed it to VMQ [without VMQ connection policy, i mean, "not set"] , and the error "not enough vNIC available" gone . But, i still got those errors [see screenshot] :

connection placement

There are not enough resources overall

Where do you think guys, that the problem is ?

The Server-Profile ? the blade?

Thanks for any assistant, it's very important for our team,

Ron

Hi guys,

Just wanted to post this for everyone else reference.

Blade: B200 M1

Adapter: Cisco UCS M71KR-E

3 VNICS were being applied. Two VNICS to Fabric Interconnect A and 1 VNIC to Fabric Interconnect B. It was failing with the error "connection placement". This is due to the fact that this adapter is part of the Menlo series in which the physical NICs are mapped left and right they do not support "Enable Failover". This is due to the Menlo being hard mapped to each Fabric Interconnect so this would mean one VNIC / VHBA per Fabric Interconnect.

Once this was corrected this error subsided and the service profile association was completed.

Regards,

Qiese Dides

Thanks Qiese,

Thanks for assist me to find that it's an hardware issue [the adapter family] .

We spent dew days on it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card