cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to use an M2 SSD with a PCI adapter on Cisco C220 M4

ohenriquezrd
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed a PCI card to the PCI Riser 2 with a Kingston M2 SSD. There is no way to get it to boot from that SSD. Please help 

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Make sure that the M2 SSD and the PCI adapter are compatible with the Cisco C220 M4 server.
    Verify that the BIOS is configured to boot from the PCI adapter.
    Make sure that the necessary drivers are installed for the M2 SSD and the PCI adapter.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not sure if the M4 BIOS will support booting to that.

Would make sure you are using UEFI mode, and that you boot to the virtual install ISO/DVD in UEFI mode.

Kirk...

ohenriquezrd
Level 1
Level 1

Here are pics of the drive and setup. 

This is my first server and I have no idea how to set this up. I used another pc to install windows on the m.2 SSD via a bootable USB. I just need the server to boot from that drive. Can someone please give me a list of easy to folllow 1.2.3 steps on how a noob would do this?

When I plug it in to pci riser 1 or 2, it shows as unkown controller volume in bios 

1.jpg2.jpg

You are asking how to configure a 3rd party device (which no one in Cisco has, because it's 3rd party). Not sure it will work, but this is what I would try:

1] (Like Kirk said) the server will likely need to be in UEFI BIOS mode and NOT "Legacy BIOS".
CIMC / Menu (top right) / Compute / BIOS / Configure Boot Order / Configured Boot Mode = UEFI / [Save Changes]

2] Since the OS was installed on another computer the boot record was written to the motherboard of that computer (That's just how UEFI booting works). From BIOS Setup screen:
Boot Options / Add boot option / Provide a name like "windows" / Select .efi file to boot using (if BIOS sees this 3rd party disk) (something like EFI\Boot\BOOT64.EFI / Save and Exit

This may not be the exact options, but you should be able to figure it out from this.
You could document the process well and post back to here with the exact steps for all to learn.

ohenriquezrd
Level 1
Level 1

mta-sts Thank you for the help. 

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it work. Even if I boot in UEFI mode, it's not giving me the option to create a new boot option to then specify the boot path. 

It's super strange because the BIOS reads it on the PCIE screen as Unkown Vendor Mass Storage. 

Please see the images below 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card