cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading 2.0 (1t) to 2.1

Dragomir
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any advantage to upgrade from 2.0 (1t) to 2.1 ucsm?

12 Replies 12

franjime
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Lots of new features with 2.1 - more information here:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/UCS_28313.html

New Hardware Features in Release 2.1

Release 2.1(1a) adds support for the following:

Cisco UCS CNA M73KR-Q Adapter for B-series M3

Cisco UCS M73KR-E Adapter for Cisco UCS B22 M3 and Cisco UCS B200 M3

VIC 1225 Adapter for C-series

C420 M3 Server

New Software Features in Release 2.1

Release 2.1(1a) adds support for the following:

Storage

UCSM based FC Zoning - Direct Connect Topologies

Multi-Hop FCoE

Unified Appliance Port

Inventory and Discovery Support for Fusion-IO and LSI PCIe Mezzanine Flash Storage (for UCS M3 blades)

C-series Single Wire Management

Fabric

Sequential Pool ID Assignment

PV Count Optimization (VLAN Compression. Only available on 6248/6296 Fabric Interconnect)

VLAN Group

Multicast Policy with IGMP Snooping and Querier

Org-Aware VLAN

LAN/SAN Connectivity Policies for Service Profile Configuration

VCON Enhancement

Cisco CNA NIC Multi-receiving Queue Support

VM FEX for KVM SRIOV

VM FEX for Hyper-V SRIOV

Operational enhancements

Firmware Auto Install

Mixed Version Support (For Infra and Server bundles firmware)

Service Profile Renaming

Fault Suppression

UCSM Upgrade Validation Utility

FSM Tab Enhancement

Native JRE 64 bits Compatibility with OS and Browsers

Lower Power Cap Minimum for B Series

RBAC Enhancement

CIMC is included in Host Firmware Package (Management Firmware Package deprecated).

Implicit upgrade compatibility check

Support for UCS Central

Thank you. what is the recommended proceure to do this? Do i need to upgrade the bios/firmare n all servers before the ucsm upgrade?

Detailed instructions here:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/upgrading/from2.0/to2.1/b_UpgradingCiscoUCSFrom2.0To2.1.html#topic_6505D0253916438AB0D832BA8840A9FA

From that document, you should upgrade USCM before the server BIOS/adapter Firmware.

vek64gware
Level 1
Level 1

2.1 was released about a month ago, it has some new features.
But you have to weight risk of upgrading to 2.1 - im running it on the lab for a monyh now, but if your setup is in production, I would recommend stay with 2.0.4.

Regarding new features:
- there's one big button to upgrade now:)
- you can do multihop FCoE (this big, long due one)
- finally pool for KVM ips is in the pools, not somewhere in the admin tab.
- you can change order assigning values from the pools (this one also big, especial for scaled deployments)
- FC zoning on the FI also welcomed one.

Best,
Vadim

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

so it looks like 2.0 (4d) is the latest and not 2.1? which one is better to upgrade to?

Well that's up to you to decide.
Read thru release notes, run POC with your applications, etc...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

anyone having issues with downloading from cisco? I tried downloading the firmware but quits before the full download is completed. tried this several times

Is it ok to upgrade all firmware from ucsm? I have no access via the console cable.

I was able to upgrade to 2.1a but how can i change thebackup version to something else.

Tony,

The backup FW slot is to hold your last version of UCSM so you can revert/rollback if needed.  Once upgrade you really shouldn't need to change it.

When you upgrade manually (non FW auto install) it's a two stage process

1. Update - This copies the selected version of FW to the "backup" slot of the components that support two FW versions (CIMC, Adapters, IOM, Board Controllers, etc).

2. Active - This "Swaps" the Startup and Backup FW version slots.

So if you really wanted to change the backup FW version, you'd simply do a FW "Update" to the appropriate end point & version.

Regards,

Robert

I am unsure why some servers are showing the backup version as 2.0(3a) and some servers are showing 2.0(4b)

That means they were previously running a different version before the upgrade.  With the FW Auto install it will help prevent end-points from being missed during upgrades.  It will also give you the option to update any FW policies with the latest FW.

One reason for mis-matched versions like this are FW policies assigned to your service profiles.  If you had FW policies for BIOS/CIMC/Adaptors set to 2.0(3a) in the service profile, your previous upgrade to 2.0(4b) wouldn't have upgraded those affected end points.

Regards,

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: