cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMQ and RSS

goapps.us
Level 1
Level 1

We are setting up a HV cluster on 4 b200M4 blades with 1340 VIC's. Each hosts has 9 NIC for various workloads. 

I was able to tune and edit the VMQ settings, but I'm not finding a lot of information about editing RSS queues for the vNIC's. The only option I can find is how to enable it in my adapter policy. 

Outside of "enabling" does UCS allow you to edit your RSS queues/settings? 

Thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Configuring an Ethernet Adapter Policy

Procedure

Command or ActionPurpose
    Step 1UCS-A# scope org org-name  

Enters organization mode for the specified organization. To enter the root organization mode, type / as the org-name .

Step 2UCS-A /org # create eth-policy policy-name  

Creates the specified Ethernet adapter policy and enters organization Ethernet policy mode.

Step 3UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set comp-queue count count  (Optional)

Configures the Ethernet completion queue.

Step 4UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set descr description  (Optional)

Provides a description for the policy.

Note   

If your description includes spaces, special characters, or punctuation, you must begin and end your description with quotation marks. The quotation marks will not appear in the description field of any show command output.

Step 5UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set failover timeout timeout-sec  (Optional)

Configures the Ethernet failover.

Step 6UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set interrupt {coalescing-time sec | coalescing-type {idle | min} | count count | mode {intx | msi | msi-x}}  (Optional)

Configures the Ethernet interrupt.

Step 7UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set offload {large-receive | tcp-rx-checksum | tcp-segment | tcp-tx-checksum} {disabled | enabled}  (Optional)

Configures the Ethernet offload.

Step 8UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set recv-queue {count count | ring-size size-num}  (Optional)

Configures the Ethernet receive queue.

Step 9UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set rss receivesidescaling {disabled | enabled}  (Optional)

Configures the RSS.

Step 10UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set trans-queue {count count | ring-size size-num}  (Optional)

Configures the Ethernet transmit queue.

Step 11UCS-A /org/eth-policy # commit-buffer  

Commits the transaction to the system configuration.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter Dey
    VIP Alumni
    VIP Alumni

Configuring an Ethernet Adapter Policy

Procedure

Command or ActionPurpose
      Step 1UCS-A# scope org org-name  

Enters organization mode for the specified organization. To enter the root organization mode, type / as the org-name .

Step 2UCS-A /org # create eth-policy policy-name  

Creates the specified Ethernet adapter policy and enters organization Ethernet policy mode.

Step 3UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set comp-queue count count  (Optional)

Configures the Ethernet completion queue.

Step 4UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set descr description  (Optional)

Provides a description for the policy.

Note   

If your description includes spaces, special characters, or punctuation, you must begin and end your description with quotation marks. The quotation marks will not appear in the description field of any show command output.

Step 5UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set failover timeout timeout-sec  (Optional)

Configures the Ethernet failover.

Step 6UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set interrupt {coalescing-time sec | coalescing-type {idle | min} | count count | mode {intx | msi | msi-x}}  (Optional)

Configures the Ethernet interrupt.

Step 7UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set offload {large-receive | tcp-rx-checksum | tcp-segment | tcp-tx-checksum} {disabled | enabled}  (Optional)

Configures the Ethernet offload.

Step 8UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set recv-queue {count count | ring-size size-num}  (Optional)

Configures the Ethernet receive queue.

Step 9UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set rss receivesidescaling {disabled | enabled}  (Optional)

Configures the RSS.

Step 10UCS-A /org/eth-policy # set trans-queue {count count | ring-size size-num}  (Optional)

Configures the Ethernet transmit queue.

Step 11UCS-A /org/eth-policy # commit-buffer  

Commits the transaction to the system configuration.

Thank you Walter

At this moment, here is the output of the "get-netadapterrss | ft" on my 2012r2 host https://www.evernote.com/l/ADlvvvG911lAb4QHy2HlCdIbcA6Yb66BWMk. Notice the right most column.  

I know that the 3 following resources values must comply with specific ratios (https://www.evernote.com/l/ADlnRITIgNBCdo_p4VIxYlAizG77VlQ6f04).  With this in mind, which of the Queues will affect the number of available rss queues available to a HV host. 

Thanks 

Hello,

Have you taken a look at this thread on the support forums?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12285321/vmq-connection-policy-windows-2012r2-hyper-v-cluster

There's also a very in depth article from microsoft on VMQ: http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2013/09/10/vmq-deep-dive-1-of-3.aspx

Hello Aaron, 

Thank you for your update, yes I'm very familiar with the technet blogs. In fact I've been in contact with the authors. 

But my specific UCS question is still unanswered. How can you affect the number of RSS queues available to a vNic. At this point, because RSS and VMQ are so tightly integrated, I suspect the VMq adapter policy is actually controlling the RSS values. I'm going to test today and update this post. 

Thanks 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card