Views
Helpful
Replies

Vsphere server not responding

Scott Hanson
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have some vSphere servers riding on UCS.  One of the servers has become unresponsive due to high CPU utilization.  I can no longer reach it through the vSphere client.  Is there anything I can do in UCS Manager to reboot, reload that vSphere server?

Thanks in advance

Replies rated

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Scott,

When you login to UCSM, go to the Equipment Tab and expand down into the server in question, based on Chassis # and Server #. From here, in the actions tab on the right, there is a "Reset" option.

Alternatively, you can do the same thing from the service profile on the "Servers" tab.

HTH,

Wes

View solution in original post

Scott,

Can you ping the IP address of the host? You can KVM into the host in question and see if it is actually up and running ESXi. If it is up and running, you could attempt to restart management services to recover it as opposed to performing a hard reboot.

More info here:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1003490

HTH,

Wes

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Scott,

When you login to UCSM, go to the Equipment Tab and expand down into the server in question, based on Chassis # and Server #. From here, in the actions tab on the right, there is a "Reset" option.

Alternatively, you can do the same thing from the service profile on the "Servers" tab.

HTH,

Wes

Thanks Wesley!  If the vSphere server will not respond to a vSphere client is the UCS reset pretty much the only think I can do or is there anything else I can try else?

Scott,

Can you ping the IP address of the host? You can KVM into the host in question and see if it is actually up and running ESXi. If it is up and running, you could attempt to restart management services to recover it as opposed to performing a hard reboot.

More info here:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1003490

HTH,

Wes

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card