cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What Blade Chassis will support a B260 M4 v2 e7 blade?

dannytoro1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a nut of old and wonderful computer systems. And I'd love to bring this blade back to life. I'm looking at a Cisco N20-C6508 / UCS 5108 chassis a dealer has and am wondering if that unit can support it. If not, what chassis does? I take it the center divider is removable.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes. Both of these UCS Chassis will work.

You will also need Chassis IO Modules (2204/2208/2304/2408) + UCS Fabric Interconnect (6248/6296/6332/6454) (top of rack switch with integrated management) or a UCS mini (UCS-FI-M-6324).

Yes. The UCS Chassis blade vertical divider is removable to allow for the "double width" blade.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes. Both of these UCS Chassis will work.

You will also need Chassis IO Modules (2204/2208/2304/2408) + UCS Fabric Interconnect (6248/6296/6332/6454) (top of rack switch with integrated management) or a UCS mini (UCS-FI-M-6324).

Yes. The UCS Chassis blade vertical divider is removable to allow for the "double width" blade.

Thanks for the information. I will sort through the available module models to complete a working server.

dannytoro1
Level 1
Level 1

Well the many bits and pieces to the Chassis are steadily coming in. I'm a bit flummoxed though. Is there an access channel in the chassis to run an external SAS cable to reach the SAS3008 controller in the B260 m4?

Also can I run one 2208 and one FI-6248UP  in the rear? Or do they need to be the same.

I settled on an WS-C2948G-L3 48x10/100, 2x1000Base-X GBIC L3 switch w/ RMK for top of the rack.

Sorry for the basic questions.

I'm not aware of any external SAS cables for UCS Blade servers, for UCS Rack servers sure but not for Blades.

Sometimes UCS Blade servers have a pair of boot disks but most boot-from-SAN/FC/iSCSI so local storage often isn't needed.

Yes, you can have one 2208 IOM in the chassis which is cabled up to one FI 6248 (no redundancy but should function).

Catalyst 2900 ought work, but most often UCS FIs are connected to some DC Switch like a Nexus. Should work but have no first hand experience with that combination.

Thanks again. The Catalyst was at a price I could not refuse. I looked at a few Nexus units and I will probably switch to one when the price is right.

I noticed a raid controller card came with the B260 and there are a pair of SAS plugs on it. Which seems like a lot of controller for a pair of 2.5" drives.

dannytoro1
Level 1
Level 1

This is getting frustrating. All the internals have arrived and now a vendor is asking for $900 for freight on a 90 pound chassis? I cancelled the order feeling like they are gaming the freight.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card