Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows 2008 R2 will not install on ESXi 4.0 Update 2

gall00004
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am attempting to install Windows 2008 R2 from an iso downloaded directly from Microsoft on ESXi 4.0 update 2.  The server is a C210-M2.  The iso is booting to the initial install screen properly, but when electing to install I am immediately prompted with "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing."  (See attached image)

Wondering if anyone has come across this issue yet and what steps need to be taken to install the OS properly.

Thanks!

Error.jpg

3 Replies 3

varrow_jgillow
Level 1
Level 1

I have had this problem before and it turned out to be an issue with vSphere client reading the ISO correctly.  I had to copy the ISO to a VMware datastore, and then mount the ISO from there instead of from my client PC.

I'm having the same issue.  I have the ISO on the datastore and still have this problem.  Any other suggestions on why this might be happening?

rewilkin
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

What you want to do is ensure you have the driver loaded in virtual media when installing the OS.  See step 12 in the link below from the Cisco support page.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/b/os/windows/install/2008-vmedia-install.html

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: