cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10GBASE-T or SFP+?

jmprats
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, we want to migrate our Data Center to 10G and I face the first problem: 10GBASE-T or SFP+. I understand this decision will affect to switches, servers and SAN (iscsi) and their interoperability. Right?

My first step is to allow 10 G in the switch, so does it must support SFP+ or 10GBASE-T?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

See the Intel Romley launch, Dell has launched 3 intel 10GBase-T cards, it includes X540 NIC, LOM and CNA.

These should be available soon through Dell and all other vendors.

VJ

View solution in original post

Before you jump on the 10GBase (RJ45) bandwagon examine the facts.

Sure it may appear to be slightly cheaper on a cable basis, but the power needed to support 10G copper (RJ45) over Cat6 is tremendous compared to Twinax or Optics.  Hopefully you're factoring in the power and cooler requirement overhead 10GBase brings with it.

10GBase also has over 10x the latency of Twinax & Optics.  The low cost of Twinax make it the cable of choice for performance in ToR deployments.  With 10m twinax you can usually cover up to 3-adjecent racks.

I posted some additional facts in a similar post here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3575231#3575231

To date I haven't seen any enterprise customers deploy 10GBase, and it's not due to availability of switches/adaptors, it's simply a matter of overal operation costs.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

aquantia1
Level 1
Level 1

10GBase-T is cheaper and more easier to deploy and hopefully will be much widely deployed with both server and switch offerings from multiple vendors, this year.

VJ

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, we want to migrate our Data Center to 10G and I face the first problem: 10GBASE-T or SFP+. I understand this decision will affect to switches, servers and SAN (iscsi) and their interoperability. Right?

My first step is to allow 10 G in the switch, so does it must support SFP+ or 10GBASE-T?

What is the distance?

If I remembered correctly, 10 Gbps BaseTx has a distance limit of around 10 metres.

10GBase-T will work at 100 meters for Cat6A cable and upto 50 meters for Cat6 cable.

Also it is compatible with 1G and 100m speeds, so you can deploy your switch ports and start using it to connect to existing 1G server ports and migrate the server ports as you can.

VJ

Getting myself confused with TwinAx.

OK, but most of the server's  CNA's are in SFP + format (emulex, qlogic, brocade).

On the other hand, SAN's can have 10G RJ-45 ports, like IBM DS3500

So, what do you do with the switch? 10G SFP+ or RJ-45? Do you need mix technologies?

See the Intel Romley launch, Dell has launched 3 intel 10GBase-T cards, it includes X540 NIC, LOM and CNA.

These should be available soon through Dell and all other vendors.

VJ

Before you jump on the 10GBase (RJ45) bandwagon examine the facts.

Sure it may appear to be slightly cheaper on a cable basis, but the power needed to support 10G copper (RJ45) over Cat6 is tremendous compared to Twinax or Optics.  Hopefully you're factoring in the power and cooler requirement overhead 10GBase brings with it.

10GBase also has over 10x the latency of Twinax & Optics.  The low cost of Twinax make it the cable of choice for performance in ToR deployments.  With 10m twinax you can usually cover up to 3-adjecent racks.

I posted some additional facts in a similar post here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3575231#3575231

To date I haven't seen any enterprise customers deploy 10GBase, and it's not due to availability of switches/adaptors, it's simply a matter of overal operation costs.

Regards,

Robert

I will always choose fibre over copper when dealing with 10Gbps. 

There is a switch WS-C3850-48XS-S. you need to connect the server through a 10Gb sfp transceiver using a twisted pair (RJ 45) category 6 or 7 with this switch. Found only such SNR-SFP + T. Is it possible? Or is there some other SFP transceiver? Give, please the link.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card