cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Activate IOM Fail

michaelstump
Level 1
Level 1

Last week, I attempted to update a pair of 2208XPs from 2.0(3b) to 2.0(5a). I followed the upgrade guide, and ran into a known bug related to an out-of-space condition on the IOMs. TAC was able to walk me through the fix, and now I'm ready to complete the upgrade.

However, when I try to activate 2.0(5a) in preparation for updating and activating the FIs, I get an FSM Status of "Activateiomfail." Both of the IOMs that encountered the out-of-space bug and stuck in this status; two other IOMs in another chassis are good and are pending a reboot to complete the activation.

I'm tempted to reset the IOMs to see if that would clear the condition, but given the trouble I've had with them, I'm hesitant.

Any ideas? I'm waiting for TAC to get back to me, but wanted to put this out to the community in case someone else has run into this problem.

Thanks,

mike

2 Replies 2

michaelstump
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, well, not sure what that was about, but I finally decided to force the update of the Backup versions for these IOMs to 2.0(5a), and after about 10 minutes, all was well. Go figure.

mike

Hello Michael,

For IOM, we set the boot flag only by pointing it to new version of the image. Then when we upgrade the FI, it will automatically reboot IOM and bring it up with new version of software.

Is your IOM failing manual activation or you have activated the FI ( which is running new version of Nx-OS ) but IOM is failing get activated to new version ?

My guess is that manual activation might fail ( I have to check it ) if FI NX-OS version does not match IOM's new version.

Thanks

Padma

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card