cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding hard disk to running blade server

e.nieuwstad
Level 1
Level 1

Yesterday I inserted some hard disks in an already running server. I then noticed they weren't properly shown in the inventory of the specific server in UCS manager. Only after a reboot they did show up. Anyone experience with this and I wonder what would happen if you replace a failed disk. Replacing a disk should not be a reason to reboot!

5 Replies 5

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Can you please share the server model, UCSM version and RAID controller information ?

Padma

software 2.01s

hardware b200m2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ts/guide/UCSTroubleshooting_chapter_0101.html#t_recommendedaction

------------

Problem—After  hot-swapping, removing, or adding a hard drive, the updated hard disk  drive (HDD) metrics do not appear in the Cisco UCS Manager GUI.

Possible Cause—This problem can be caused because Cisco UCS Manager  gathers HDD metrics only during a system boot. If a hard drive is added  or removed after a system boot, the Cisco UCS Manager GUI does not  update the HDD metrics.

Procedure

Reboot the server.

---------------

Did you a chance to verify whether LSI RAID controller utility provides updated information after hot-swapping HDD ?

Padma

Padma,

no I didn't I had to change the service profile on that server anyway causing a reboot and a fix of the problem. Will do some further testing soon. However would like to see a software update fix this

Please open a TAC service request so that we can further investigate this behavior.

Padma

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card