Views
Helpful
Replies

Attach USB Disk to B200 M2

danierobberts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible tu attach a USB disk to a B200 M2 via the console port connector, and then have the disk available to the ESXi (5) host?

From what I could gather its a keyboard/mouse only connection

Thanx

Danie

2 Replies 2

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It functions as a regular USB port. I attach USB keys and external CDROM to it all the time and it works fine. A USB based disk drive should also work. Obviously your OS needs to have proper USB drivers but the port functions as a normal USB port.

louis

netops1
Level 1
Level 1

lwatta, 

You're wrong. I attached the same usb drive to a dell server that does not utilize the stupid dongle and has a usb port directly on the server and my ESXi host (same version that's running on my CISCO blade) and it sees the storage just fine. Does not work using the dongle on the Cisco blade. If it was the OS as you say then it should work on both servers as both are running the same exact version and patch level of ESXi and would therefore have the same drivers. Maybe you've gotten lucky with it...to that I say...good for you. Additionally you will see plenty of other forums and blogs saying that it won't work and that it's not recommended etc. and so on. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card