Views
Helpful
Replies

B200M3 server occasionally disconnects san

Hungnt_sbd
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Our customer reported that their vsphere hosts deployed on Cisco UCS unexpectedly crash (purple screen). The hosts are san booted.

We checked release notes for firmware 2.0(2r) and came across this information:

- "Fibre Channel firmware issues disconnect the SAN and cause a server outage" (CSCtz87024)

So we are planning to upgrade ucs firmware to 2.1(1a).

I have read through documents, watched videos and ready to go.

Just want to know if anyone has experienced this same problem and has resolved it by upgrading ucs firmware.

Any precaution would be great as well.

Some related information:

- UCS environment: Firmware 2.0(2r), FI 6120, B200M3 Server, Vic 1240 + Nexus 1000v

- Vsphere environment: Vsphere host 5.1, Vcenter 5.1

1 Reply 1

I would make sure all the paths look good going to your FC switches . You can check the logs on Brocades if your using them or MDS switches. Make sure you have primary and secondary targets in your boot policy . Check your hosts do they have Dead paths on your Fiber connections ?

When ESxi loads up ... it loads into memory . So even a disconnect might not be painful but if its trying to write to a debug log on the LUN that might cause a crash cause it cannot get there .

Just my 2 cents .

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card